cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BSOD on catalog job

Stephen_Jacobs
Level 3
PowerEdge 2800 server with internal DLT 160/320 drive, Windows Svr 2003 Standard.
BackupExec 9.1

Friday evening, I restored the server from an Acronis TrueServer image. The TI image was from 10/27/2006. After restoring, I restored Exchange and SQL data using the DLT tape that was produced Thursday evening, 11/2/2006.

Saturday, the server was recovered from the Acronis image again. This time, I was unable to catalog the DLT tape. Twice in a row, the catalog job ran for about 25-30 minutes, and then the server hung, and about 5 minutes later the system displayed a BSOD. I then rebooted, inserted a cleaning tape, then inserted the tape from Wednesday, and cataloged it successfully. I then tried once again with the Thursday tape, and after the catalog job had run for about 20 minutes, showing no 'bytes transferred' in Job Monitor, I tried to cancel the job. After trying to cancel the job, the system hung, then blue-screened.

On a separate PowerEdge, in a seperate domain, running Win2k3 Enterprise, the tape has been cataloged easily, with no trouble at all. That server is running BackupExec 10.1d.

Is it possible for me to move the results of the successful catalog job to the server running 9.1 ? If not, is it possible for me to somehow restore the Exchange .dbs (edb and stm) to a file, and then move the files to the original server and use the RSG or EXMERGE to recover the data?

Thanks,
Steve
1 REPLY 1

Stephen_Jacobs
Level 3
Another bit of info -

1) I added a 2-way trust between my domain with my BackupExec 10.1d server, and the other domain with the BackupExec 9.1 server. Tried to restore the IS to the Recovery Storage Group, after successfully testing the resource credentials. Each attempt fails authentication when the job is actually run. Could this be because the server I'm trying to restore is itself a BackupExec server? It DOES list a Remote Agent in services, running.

2) Back to the original problem - cataloging the tape causes a BSOD - During the weekend's activities an external USB hard drive was attached to the server. Could the catalog problem result from the external drive's presence? I've stopped and removed it, but as I don't want to lock the server up again during business hours I haven't re-attempted the catalog job yet. Also, with the drive present the Wednesday tape catalogged just fine.