Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Back-up Exec giving an error

JamesNjenga
Level 3

Hi Guys,

Since i did not get a solution to the below...i have decided to re-post it

I do incremetal back up (system state) and full back up once a week. However, for the past two weeks i got the below error and my back-up failed..

I have tried De-activating McAfee but nothing seems to work.

Checked my Exchange to see if it has VSS errors and i couldnt spot one.

Tried back-up exchange alone and it doesnt work.

Any help?

category    : Resource Errors

Error             : e000fedf - A failure occurred reading an object.

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-65247
One or more Microsoft Exchange databases were backed up but the Symantec Backup Exec Active Directory Recovery Agent is not installed. Symantec recommends that you install and use the Active Directory Recovery Agent to better manage your Microsoft Exchange data. 

The consistency check of the snapshot for the Microsoft Active Directory, Active Directory Application Mode (ADAM) or Active Directory Lightweight Directory Services (AD LDS) database and transaction logs ntds was successfu

VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\drivers\mfetdik.sys is not present on the snapshot.

V-79-57344-65247 - A failure occurred reading an object.

WARNING: "System?State\System Files\System Files" is a corrupt file. This file cannot verify.
The .DR file that is required for Intelligent Disaster Recovery is not updated.
8 REPLIES 8

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

That happens if an application was removed/drives uninstalled etc. and it wasn't done properly.

You can simply create an empty file with that name in that location and it should resolve the issue.

Thanks!

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

One or more Microsoft Exchange databases were backed up but the Symantec Backup Exec Active Directory Recovery Agent is not installed. Symantec recommends that you install and use the Active Directory Recovery Agent to better manage your Microsoft Exchange data.

This is a recommendation alert...can be ignored..

VSS Snapshot warning. File c:\windows\system32\drivers\mfetdik.sys is not present on the snapshot.

Try this KB - http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH141746

JamesNjenga
Level 3

Hi,

Are you saying i should create a File in c:\windows\system32\drivers\mfetdik.sys?

CraigV

Yes...

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Yes, you can create a dummy file...try first creating an exception for this file & see if backup is successful or not...if exception doesn't work, you can create a dummy file

JamesNjenga
Level 3

Hi i did that, and instead got a different error..

"The device, \Device\Harddisk0\DR0, has a bad block"

I changed my tape and put a new one but there was no change

i run a cleaning tape to the drive and there was no change.

CraigV

James: just make sure you don't have a drive that's in prefailure, or failed already...

Run a chkdsk and defrag just in case too, and then try the backup once more.

JamesNjenga
Level 3

Hi Guys, I have not got a soln for the above!! however am planning to install the mfetdik.sys drivers this weekend and see the result. I understand my registry may be corrupt. Let me repair and see the outcome.