cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up 2K/XP clients using Backup Exec Remote Agent

Dan_McLaughlin
Level 3
I am setting up our client backup scheme using the Backup Exec Remote Agent for our WinXP and Win2K boxes.  A few questions:

1)  If I select the System State for backup, how would I restore this to the client?  Mostly I am interested in getting a copy of the registry so if some program hoses it, I can restore it.  But all the restore information on System State in the documentation is geared at restoring a Win2K3 server - not a 2K or XP client.  If I can't easily restore it, there is no use backing it up.

2)  How would I restore the user's profile if their drive crashed and I had to rebuilt the computer?

3)  Tricky situation.  We've got some laptops that are mostly on a hardline connection, but sometimes are on the wireless (802.11g) network.  In a perfect world, I'd like to back these up only when they are on the hardline, as pulling the user profiles (which includes some very large PST files) over the wireless would cause the backup to take too long. Any ideas?  I'm toying with backing up to disk for these clients, and starting that process earlier in the evening.  Then, the server backup would fire off at 2:30 a.m. and back up the bkf files.  Somewhat barbaric - a more elegant solution would be nice.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
4 REPLIES 4

Joe_Balberde_2
Level 3

Well first off I have to say I am no expert but at this point nobody seems to want to post.  Restoring a WinXP or Win2k shouldn’t be much different then Win2k3.  Are you using Disaster recovery?  If so you just need to do a full backup of whatever machines you plan on needing to restore, then when you go to restore create the Boot CD from BE. 

As far as your laptop situation, is there a distinct time when the machines are plugged into the LAN? or could you make it a policy to have them plug in the laptops at a certain time of Day or Week?  If not I don't really have any ideas.

Hope I helped at least a little,

Joe

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
3)  Does your wireless access point serve out a specific subnet that is different than your hardwired network?

if so, on the job properties select the option to use a specified network and define your hardwire subnet

Dan_McLaughlin
Level 3
Thanks for the input guys.  Much as I would like to make a policy that they have to plug the computers into the hardline at night, I know this won't happen reliably.  And when it doesn't, then my backup takes WAY longer than it is supposed to.  So, I need to come up with a plan that doesn't rely too much on the users.

Ken, the wireless access points are not currently serving DHCP addresses on a different subnet, but that is probably the best solution - it just means some changes are required to the network infrastructure.  It does have the advantage of being transparent to the user.  I'll just tell them if they want a backup, they have to plug the machines into the hardline at night.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Michael_McKenne
Level 6
Reinstall the OS.  Patch back to same service pack level.   Reinstall the Agent.   Use the restore registry documentation to restore it.   It is not a bad process.   I would not do it across a wireless connection.   You want to restore on a wired connection. 

Message Edited by Michael McKenney on 04-16-200707:25 AM