cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up Hyper-V virtual servers..

dlt
Level 3

Hi,

I think I'm confusing myself.  I'm using Symantec Backup Exec 2010 R3.  I have one Microsoft Win 2008 R2 host server with 3 virtual servers running, which I have the virtual BE agent installed.  What I'm unsure of is this:

In BE, under the host server I see all three VM's and they are checked for backup.  However..I also see the VM in the resource list, basically shows as a machine running the agent.  My confusion/question is - do I need to back up both?  do I backup the VM's under Virtual Machines on the host server AND the individual servers too?

need input please,

Dee

6 REPLIES 6

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

Just select 3 Vm's under Hyper V host server, with GRT enabled.

This would give you complete VM restore (.vhd)  and file level restores as well.

No need to select them under fav resource.

Refer to best practices: http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO21770

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

When you install a remote agent on a VM it appears as a physical machine in the BE console.

If you want to perform GRT backup/restore then configure backups through favourite resources.

If you just want to  backup VHD's then select the files from the Virtual Machine tab

EDIT: refer to http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH64287

dlt
Level 3

in the article mentioned above:

'Do not include a virtual machine and a Cluster Shared Volume that the virtual machine resides on in the same backup job. Doing so can result in duplicate backups.'

my understanding of this statement is - the VM's are on drive E: and they are in the Virtual Machine folder.  In BE under the host server drive E: shows the VM folder with the 3 VM's.  Under the host server it also shows Microsoft Hyper-V with Intial Store and Virtual Machines.  In order to not have duplicate backups all I need to 'check' for backup is the Microsoft Hyper-V - with GRT enabled?  this will allow a 'complete' restore of the VM?

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Deselect the "Virtual Machine" folder from the E drive.

Striker_303
Level 6
Employee

"all I need to 'check' for backup is the Microsoft Hyper-V - with GRT enabled?  this will allow a 'complete' restore of the VM?"

-Yes it would

dlt
Level 3

Right on!!  THANK YOU!!!

Kind regards,

Dee