cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backing up Netware 5.1 server with BE91running on Server2003

Martin_Gotch
Level 3
Can I backup data on a Netware 5.1 server using BE91 running on MS Server 2003? (w/out an agent on the netware server)?
I could not get my new tape drive (Sony AIC) to work with the existing BE for netware 9.1 running on the netware server (drive is not supported in BE for netware v9.1) so I would like to backup from my server2003, which has full rights to the netware server. I am only interest in data only, not the netware system (NDS tree, etc).
6 REPLIES 6

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi,

In order to backup Netware Server 5.1 from backup exec for Windows Server running on Windows Server 2003, remote agent for netware server should be installed on remote netware server.

Also device is connected to remote netware server ?

Update us on the same and revert for any further Query
Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Martin_Gotch
Level 3
What p/n should I get for v91 remote agent running on a 155 user single Netware51 server?
The Netware 51 server does have BEv8.5 netware multiserver version running on it with a small DDS4 tape drive, but I would rather have the 2003 server box do the backups instead as it is a much larger & faster with capacity for both servers
Also, the BE91 version I have is the "quick start" version that came with my new Sony drive. Promo info indicated that v10 was suppose to be included. Seems like v91 will work fine given the simple needs for backup here, and may even be better suited than v10 given the older version of our netware server, but is v10 available via download for this promo?

Martin_Gotch
Level 3
Followup question

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi Martin,

In order to backup a NetWare server from Backup Exec for windows Servers. In this case you have to install a remote agent for netware server on the netware server.

For detailed information on cost of the update and licensing please contact our sales department. Please refer to the following links:

http://www.veritas.com/contactus/listing/LocationList.jhtml?locationId=0&st>
(in US)

<> (international)

Is Backup Exec for Netware v8,5 runnig on NetWare server that you want to backup from BEWS 9.1 ?

Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Martin_Gotch
Level 3
Thanks for the info. After installing the BEWS software, I found that it is actually v10.

Yes, BE v85 for netware is running on the Netware 5.1 server that I would like to Backup from BEWS v10. I have BEWS working fine to backup the Windows Server. After installing the NW client (v4.91SP1) and connecting to the NW51 server as Admin with full rights, I attempted to installed the Netware Remote Agent. It informed me that I needed to stop the existing BE for netware service running on the NW51 server. I exited the BE netware client and the BE job monitor running on the NW51 server and did a BESTOP on the NW51 server and procedded. The install seemed to hang, after it started installing the remote agent. Clicking on "continue" resulted in a msg that the agent was not yet installed, and wanted to know if I want to cancel. After giving it 10 min, I canceled. Attempting to re-install the Netware remote agent brought up a message indicated that is was allready installed. Doing a BESTART then seemed to startup something other than BE fo rnetware 8.5 , and then it went away. The console indicates BKUPEXEC.NLM was loaded, and That Backuo Exec SureStart ver9.10 was loaded & running. Then I attempted to make a selection for a backup from BEWS under Netware Agents, and my server was listed but attempting to select it resulted in the message:

"An error was encountered while attempting to browse the contents of SERVER1, Error connecting to teh Backup Ecec Remote Agen for Netware Servers. Make sure that the Remote Agent Netware is running on the target computer"

What should be my next step? The install seems to have gotten somewhere, but I am not sure what may be missing .Thank you

Gauri_Ketkar
Level 6
Hi Martin,

With "Yes, BE v85 for netware is running on the Netware 5.1 server that I would like to Backup from BEWS v10." this sentense i understand that on Netware 5.1 backup exec for Netware v85 is running and same server you wants to backup with Remote Agent for Netware server which you get with backup exec for windows Server v10 ??

"It informed me that I needed to stop the existing BE for netware service running on the NW51 server" with BESTOP command you stopped BE on Netware server and then performed installation of Remote agent for netware server ?

But the installation was not successful ?

Hope this will help you

Thank you
Gauri

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm