cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup EXEC 2010

TurGe
Level 3

Hi We currently have 2010 installed on a windows 2008 server, the back up is giving error

Job ended: Tuesday, March 30, 2010 at 8:55:44 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084f4 - An unknown error has occurred.
Final error category: System Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34036
Backup- QUEEG\NETPERFMONStorage device "HP 2" reported an error on a request to write data to media.

Error reported:

A device attached to the system is not functioning.

V-79-57344-34036 - An unknown error has occurred.

A selection on device C: was skipped because of previous errors with the job.

A selection on device QUEEG\BKUPEXEC was skipped because of previous errors with the job.

A selection on device Shadow?Copy?Components was skipped because of previous errors with the job.

A selection on device System?State was skipped because of previous errors with the job.

I have tested the Drive using the HP L&TT Software which gives no errors and the drive fuctions fine. We thought it may be a faulty drive still so we moved the drive to another server and moved the working servers drive to this machine.
The drive worked fine on the other server and the working servers drive attached to this server failed with the same results.

If I run Inventory on the drive this completes fine.

I have found various resolutions to this error code 0xe00084f4 non of which have worked.

Any Advice or suggestions appreciated...

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

We have also seen a similar error with HP hardware (server and Library) where the HP Insight Management agents appear to be the cause of the issue
http://entsupport.symantec.com/docs/305233

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Mmm...sounds like it could be a faulty SCSI card. Are you able to swop them out and try again?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

We have also seen a similar error with HP hardware (server and Library) where the HP Insight Management agents appear to be the cause of the issue
http://entsupport.symantec.com/docs/305233

TurGe
Level 3

Hi Colin You May have helped me resolve the issue, I will confirm over the next few days, seems to have worked on the test backup I just did so fingers crossed.

Cheers
Mark

SystemsAdminAS
Level 5
Turge,

Also check to see what drivers your HP is using currently in device manager - have the drivers changed or updated recently (i.e. did the backup work previously?)  I had issues with the updated Microsoft drivers for my PV114T with the same error as you have - 'device attached to the system is not functioning'.

Found that the driver had updated through win update - simply rolling it back did NOT fix it - I had to remove the LTO drive from BE, uninstall it from the system, clean out the registry entries for it, and reinstall with the OEM drivers that came with the unit.

TurGe
Level 3
Colin you have the answer....
I went straight for option 7 Uninstall the HP Insight Manager software and test another backup the system is now backing up again :) 
Many thanks for taking time to Read my post..

Mark