cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 10 backing up network storage

Grundon
Level 2
I have Backup Exec 10 and have been using it with remote agents for SQL and Exchange for years with no problem.
We now have a Buffalo TerraStation which is on our network with files on.  I have tried to back it up with Backup exec 10 but keep getting the following error.

"The Media Server was unable to connect to Remote Machine EWELMEBACKUP.
The Media Server will fall back on the local agent to try and complete the operation.
WARNING: Media servers cannot completely protect remote
Windows-based servers or workstations unless the Backup
Exec Remote Agent is installed
and running on each remote Windows-based server or
workstation to be protected. Data loss can occur if the
Remote Agent is not running
while backing up remote Windows-based computers."

Please refer to the documentation or online help for more information.
Access is denied to Remote Agent. Check the login account for the specified device.

I have tried to install the remote agent on the terrastation, but get the following error

"Attempting to connect to the server \\EWELMEBACKUP failed with the following error: The account name and /or password
supplied is not valid. Please re-enter the login information and try again."

The permissions on the terrastation appear to be correct,  -  am I supposed to install the remote agent on the terrastation?

Does anyone know how I can resolve this problem?

Thanks  Michelle

3 REPLIES 3

Mandar
Level 3
Employee

Remote agent cannot be installed on Terra Station,(as it runs linux based OS)  The error is very common since remote agent is not there you can backup only shares on terra station.

Please mark this as resolved if it answers your question.

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Referr the following document http://support.veritas.com/docs/288037
As per this document U need to Turn off "display progress indicators for backup jobs" from Tools | Options | Settings | Preferences .
And the solution would be to upgrade to 11d or higher version of backup exec

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Rahul - that technote applies to a remote WINDOWS machine

The accepted "Solution" is to install the RAWS serial on the Media Server and create a UserDefinedShare  for the TerraStation

see http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/242619.htm