cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11D slow

TedS001
Not applicable

Hi,

I am running Backup Exec ver 11D 7170, SP 1...with an IBM GoVault tape drive connected to a SATA onboard controller.  OS is Windows 2003 SP1 ...

when running a Full Backup, Disk to Folder, the backup speed remains stationary at 73 MB per minute.

I tried a different tape cartridge, and got same speed - approximately 80 GB of data taking up to 30 hours to complete.  Also, get this speed just backing up a few folders.

I re-installed the operating system fresh, and now the backup is normal, running very fast.  This was from the same INSTALL CD's for OS as was used previously.   The same amount of data was taking about 2-3 hours to complete a backup.

Is there a setting that I may have overlooked to cause this slow performance?

3 REPLIES 3

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

From the devices tab, right click the drive, properties.  What are the settings for

Block Size

Buffer Size

Number of  Buffers

Also the Single Block and passthru settings

JWorth
Level 4

I have exactly the same problem but mine is with a Dell Powervault 120T DDS4 autoloader and Powervault 100T DDS4 tape drive.

I recently changed the way that my SCSI bus was operating from SE to LVD by changing the internal SCSI cable for the 100T and I am now experiencing that my backup speeds are much lower than before (when they were in SE mode). In SE mode both my tape drives would backup up at roughly 140MB/MIN but now it takes a long time to reach anywhere near that. They start at 70MB/MIN and only really get up to 120MB/MIN. Surely with LVD it would perform better???

Here are the Parameters for the Powervault 120T DDS4 Autoloader:

Buffer Size: 32k

Block Size: 8k

Buffer Count: 10

High Water Count: 0

And for the Powervault 100T DDS4 Tape Drive:

Buffer Size: 32k

Block Size: 8k

Buffer Count: 7

High Water Count: 7

Would changing these settings make the backups run faster? If so, can anybody recommend what I should set these parameters to for each of the devices?

Thanks,

Regards,

Jonathan Worth

Network Manager

Hesa Limited

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Those look like they should work OK

Be sure that the single block settings are NOT selected