cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11d crashing Exchange Server

Mark_Smith
Not applicable
I have 11d loaded on a Backup Server with Advanced Open File, Exchange Agent, SQL Agent and Disaster Recovery. The Backup Server is Running Windows 2003 Standard with SP1 and 11D with the updates. The remote server that is locking up is running Windows 2003 Standard SP1 with Exchange 2003 SP2 and the Backup Exec Agent. I select the Exchange Agent and Advanced Open File(this may be the mistake) the backup runs for a while(38gig) and when I go into the Job Monitor it says snaphhot processing. When I go take a look at the Exchange Server it is locked up and a bunch of files are corrupted. I then have to run some tools(chkdsk, etc.) to get it back online. First question - Should I not be running the Advanced Open File along with the Exchange Agent? If not any other ideas why this happens. I can succesfully backup the SQL Server with the SQL Agent and Advanced Open File and another remote file server with the Advanced Open File.

Mark
2 REPLIES 2

Charles_Eberhar
Level 3
I had this same problem at first. I installed BE 11d and pushed out the agents. It was locking exchange hard and forcing a reboot to fix it. Here is what I did to fix the problem:

Check: http://symantec.com/enterprise/support/downloads.jsp?pid=15047 and insure you have the latest hotfixes. You will want al of them. (Right now I think its HF2 and HF6)

After installing the hotfixes you will need to reinstall the agents. Uninstall the agents off of your servers and reboot. Then push out the new patched agents to the servers. This is important because if you don't push out new agents you will still have problems.

Reboot again and you should be good to go. That fixed my exchange crashing / lockup problem.

~Charles

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

It is recommended to use Exchange agent to backup exchange server not AOFO.

Kindly refer to the following Document:

What is the intended use of the Open File Option and the Advanced Open File Option?

http://support.veritas.com/docs/263784

Thank You,

Shweta