cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11d hangs on consistency check when backing up exchange.

SysAdminTyler
Level 2
Good morning,

I'm having an issue with Backup Exec 11d 7170.

My initial duty was strictly backing up web servers which was simple enough. Recently, however, I was tasked with taking control of the exchange backups and I've had nothing but trouble ever since.

I'm running Backup Exec 11d on Windows 2003 Standard Edition (32bit) and Exchange 2007 on Windows 2003 R2 Standard 64bit Edition.

I've installed Exchange Management Tools on the BE Server and installed Exchange MAPI Client and CDO on the exchange server.

I'm trying to back up the Storage Groups to a local NTFS folder. I have a job specifically set to only back up the Storage Groups but when it runs it will run for about a minute... will back up about 37k and then switch to "Consistency Check" and just sit there.

My Exchange backup options are:
Full - Database & Logs (flush committed logs)
Enable the restore of individual mail messages
Perform consistency check before backup when using Microsoft Volume Shadow Copy Service (VSS) snapshot provider
Continue with backup if consistency check fails
Back up from the passive copy and if not available, try the active copy
Full - Back up messages - Reset archive bit

Since it's hanging at the consistency check my first assumption is that something is not communicating right between BE and VSS... but I can't seem to figure out what's going on.
4 REPLIES 4

SysAdminTyler
Level 2
Just realized I posted this on the wrong board. Smiley Mad

[Edit: Moderator move to correct board.... Moderator Hint: Anytime a thread is in the wrong place, a user can hit the 'Report Abuse to Moderator link' and ask that it be moved to the correct place]

Another nice kicker is if I try to cancel the job while it's stuck on "consistency check" it just goes and sits on "cancel pending" and never actually cancels... I have to actually restart the Backup exec services which in turn corrupts the back up to disk folder... so I have to create a new one.

I'm sure I'm just missing something somewhere.

Message Edited by LakeRat on 02-24-2008 11:33 AM

Stratomanu
Not applicable
Partner
Same issue here, but it also hangs very badly my Exchange Server.
I´m backing up directly to tape, it used to work ok with our previous Exchange server.
I tried changing the NIC just in case it was the problem, i installed a 3com BE compatible card, but it didn´t worked.

I Hope we can get an answer.

Tks in advance.

psiveritas
Not applicable
Install Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Callaboration Data Objects pacakage, restart the server, and your problems should go away.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=E17E7F31-079A-43A9-BFF2-0A110307611E&displa...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
...and make sure your Advanced Open File Option isn't selected for Exchange. Symantec don't support this.

I've used AOFO with Exchange, and currently don't have issues on most of my sites. Those sites that gave me the above error I stopped using it, and never got it again.