cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 11d with CPS - Best Practice for backing up AD and Exchange

MWinn
Not applicable
I am in the process of setting up Backup Exec 11D with CPS on 12 servers, that include AD, Exchange 2003 and OWA.  I have a file server that was configured for disk-to-disk-to-tape which is where Backup Exec and CPS are loaded.  I have all of the licenses (CPS and Exchange) already, everything is pushed out and visible within the CPS  BE and CPS consoles.

My question is whether i should look at creating individual policies (especially for Exchange and AD) for each of these servers, or will the disk-to-disk-to-tape handle everything?  Are there any major issues that I should be aware of which either way?

Thanks

2 REPLIES 2

SRodriguez
Level 6
Employee Accredited
Hi,

The backup of the Exchange server using CPS should be configure on its own policy.  Also, the Backup to disk for this backup it is recommended that a separate partition and Backup to Disk folder gets created for this backup.

Backup Exec 11d Best Practices Guide: Agent for Microsoft Exchange Server

Granular Restore Technology (GRT) used with a Backup-to-Disk (B2D) device results in the disk or the reserved disk space being filled up with overwriteable image (IMG) folders before the oldest IMG media will be overwritten.

Regards,

Sandra Rodriguez
Advanced Technical Support Engineer

D_B_5
Level 6
Employee
An Exchange CPS job is in effect it's own policy due to it's use of recovery point jobs.  Do not create other exchange jobs or use it within a policy since the log files will be out of order within the restore jobs.  Exchange CPS jobs are all tied together, and another Exchange job within a policy or stand alone will break that chain and take away your point in time restore capabilities.