cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 15 V-Ray and NBD transport mode speed ...

DiWi
Level 4

Hello,

we recently installed Backup Exec 15 V-Ray on Windows 2012 R2 and created a Backup Exec Deduplication disk storage on a very fast HP MSA60 hardware array. Read and write speeds on this array is beyond 1000MB/s according to CrystalDiskMark.

Backup Exec 15 V-Ray is connected through a vCenter with two ESXi 5.5 virtual host server (building 2 node cluster), offering two 1GBit/s NIC's in a vSwitch with 2 VMkernelPorts and one GBit/s NIC active and one standby and the other way round in the other VMkernelPort.

I know that HotAdd transport mode can only be used, if the Backup Exec 15 media server is a VM in this 2 node cluster, so as SAN-tranport mode is not possible, I am stuck to NBD or NBDSSL. VMware limits transfer speed for NBD on vSwitches with Management VMkernelPorts.

So far so good, but the transfer speed during backup is far beyond to what I expected from a 1GBit/s NIC adapter, even if it's limited by VMware itself. I heard or read that 60% of 1GBit/s NIC speed is useable, the other 40% is reserved for managment traffic.

When I download big files (11GB) via FTP from a virtual machine being part of this 2 node cluster, I get transfer speed beyond 60MB/s, using NBD mode for different VM's lets me backup virtual maching with a maximum transfer speed of 30MB/s only.

Is there any recent information for Backup Exec 15 V-Ray available, that can help me to improve backup speed with NBD transport mode?

Best regards,

DiWi

2 REPLIES 2

DiWi
Level 4

Forgot to say that the Windows 2012 R2 server has 16 cores and 72GB of memory!

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

You should probably do a comparison test of a traditional Agent for Windows backup of one of the VMs into the same Deduplication store as this could help reduce the possible choices for where a performance issue could be and in the long term you should plan to adjust your enviroment so that SAN transport is possible