Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 License, Server vs SAN Shared Storage

Redha_Hamzah
Level 3

Hi,

I still need a favors to let me understand what is this license used for;

1. SYMC Backup Exec 2010 Server Win Per Server                                                3

2. SYMC Backup Exec 2010 Option SAN Shared Storage Win Per Server                3

my scenario;

i have only 1 master backup server connected to tape library which has 2 drive.

the master backup server is reachable to 1 out of 3 SAN storage via FC. the other 2 SAN storage connected to master backup server via LAN.

thus, are the license quantity above is require to cater my environment or is it unadequate?

thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Based on your configuraton, you have the following excess licences

b. SYMC Backup Exec 2010 Agent Remote for Linux                                 3

d. SYMC Backup Exec 2010 Server Win Per Server                                   2

e. SYMC Backup Exec 2010 Option SAN Shared Storage Win Per Server   3

You can either retain them or give them up, but they would be expensive to buy if you do decide to buy them in the future.

Note that you do not need any RAWS or RALUS licences for your VM's.  As long as you have an AVVI licence for the physical host, you can load as many RAWS or RALUS as you have VM's.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

pkh
   VIP    Certified

How many servers do you have and are you planning to back all of them up to the SAN independently?

If you are planning to have only one media server (master server), then you only need 1 BE server licence and you don't need any SSO (shared storage option) licences.  However, for each remote server, you would need a remote agent licence.

Since you have 2 tape drives in the library, you would need an an additional LEO (library expansion option) per media server.

Redha_Hamzah
Level 3

we have 

a. 4 x esx server (total 9 vm - 3linux ,6 windows) - first storage

b. 4 x physical cluster windows server - second storage

c. 2 x physical cluster windows server - third storage

d. 3 x physical windows server - standalone

e. 1 x physical master backup windows server

f. 2 x physical linux server

currently we do have;

a. SYMC Backup Exec 2010 Agent for Windows System                           9            

b. SYMC Backup Exec 2010 Agent Remote for Linux                                 5

c. SYMC Backup Exec 2010 Option Library Expansion                              1

d. SYMC Backup Exec 2010 Server Win Per Server                                   3

f. SYMC Backup Exec 2010 Agent for VMware VI                                      4 

ps; as far as i know the actual planning to get each SAN storage reachable/connected to the tape library but then we change the plan to only have 1 SAN connected directly to tape library

so is it apropriate to maintain 3 license for Server & SSO?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Based on your configuraton, you have the following excess licences

b. SYMC Backup Exec 2010 Agent Remote for Linux                                 3

d. SYMC Backup Exec 2010 Server Win Per Server                                   2

You can either retain them or give them up, but they would be expensive to buy if you do decide to buy them in the future.

Note that you do not need any RAWS or RALUS licences for your VM's.  As long as you have an AVVI licence for the physical host, you can load as many RAWS or RALUS as you have VM's.

Redha_Hamzah
Level 3

Hi,

a. Is it correct information that ralus for linux is still needed if we intend to restore until file level ?

b. If yes, then the AVVI is only able to restore full vm image and not file selection. (linux machine scenario) but is it same goes to windows machine?

c. If no, then we can give up to renew the excessive license but as you said if we decide to use them later, are they any term of 'recycle' which mean we can renew those give up license before?

d. Again. what is the use of SSO? is it regards to the back up SAN independantly? if we plan to back up the SAN independantly (each SAN reachable by master media server) then we need the SSO. Is it correct?

best regards,

pkh
   VIP    Certified

a.  You cannot do a GRT restore of a Linux VM, i.e. backup the whole VM and restore 1 file from this backup.  You got to install the RALUS and back it up like a physical machine.

b,  You can do a GRT restore of a Windows VM, but you need to install the RAWS in the VM first

c.  I doubt it, but you can check with Symantec Licensing.

d. No.  SSO is for the situation whether you have a couple of servers that are accessing the SAN and you want each of them to backup to the SAN directly without using the LAN.  You can backup as many SAN as you want and you don't need a SSO licence.  However, for each SAN device that you back up, you would need a remote agent licence regardless of whether you install a remote agent on the device.  This is for licensing purposes.