cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 R3 - backing up itself issue

doggatas
Level 3

Hi

I am having an issue whereby snapshot processing is taking roughly 1 hours before the backup job will actually start writing data to the destination. In this particular case the desitination is a tape and the backup source is the backup server(media server) itself.

I have a physical backup server that has Backup Exec 2010 R3 installed. This server is attached to two storage systems via FC, a DS3524 and a DS4700.

The DS3524 contains VMs and the DS4700 contains a few VMs (DEV) and is the location of the LUN presented to the backup server that is mounted as an NTFS volume. This NTFS volume contains data I need to backup to tape.

All LUNS (except fot the LUN mounted on the backup server) appear as non-initialized in Disk Management, this is because I have set the policy on the backup server to not automount devices as the other LUNS contain VMFS datastores. There are roughly 30 LUNS.

When I attempt to backup the backup server itself during the snapshot processing stage the event viewer is throwing the following warning for all LUNS that are non-initialized:

ASR Warning: Failed to collect disk information for ASR Backup. Reason:    Unable to obtain disk information for device xx

The process of VSS attempting to gather info for each of the 30 LUNS is taking roughly 1 hour.

I understand why VSS cannot gather this information (LUNS offline) but why is backup exec (or the VSS service) trying to gather information about devices that are not even part of the backup job? And is there a way around this?

Cheers

David

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi David,

If AOFO is selected in your job, turn it off and try the backup again. AOFO wouldn't be required.

Thanks!

doggatas
Level 3

Hi Craig

Thanks for taking the time to reply to my query.

AOFO is not enabled for this backup job.

Edit: Looks like the MPIO driver is not enabled on the backup server, thus VSS cannot get the information for the LUN on the path that is not active. This is probably what is causing the issue.

Cheers

David

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...check and see if that is the case, and if so, close this off by marking the relevant thread.

Thanks!