cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 VMware Restore Issue

BUUser
Level 3
I am having a frustrating problem trying to restore VMware images backed up using the Vmware Agent supplied by Backup Exec. I am trying to restore to another ESX host and receive this error for every virtual image I try to restore: e0009585 - Unable to open a disk of the virtual machine. For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-38277 I am running latest patches and updates for BUE 2010. I have tried this on ESX 3.5 and 5.0 Hosts with the same issue. The restore job starts and fails after 30 seconds. I have looked through symantec KB articles and haven't really seen a solution geared towards restoring and this error....just backing up. I have confirmed proper name resolution from the media server to the ESX hosts and authentication works fine. Any insight?
3 REPLIES 3

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Did your original machines contain Physical or Independent disks?

If they did then although they weren't backed up - the record for the complete backup set inlcudes both the standard disks and the Phyiscsl or Independent disk. The Physical or Independent disk won't have a full catalog record through so won't show up in the restore selections.

If this is the case then to do the restore, don't select the containeer for the backup set (that will probably be named as a date and time reference) select each of the VMDK fiel objects themselves.

BUUser
Level 3

All my VM's contain logical drives...not suing physical or independant disks. One thing I forgot to mention is that I am restoring to a seperate VMware infrastructure for DR purposes. I receive this error for EVERY VM I try to restore to the new infrastructure.

I can restore the VM's to a file but I must run Vmware Converter on the restored files in order for them to work in the new infrastructure.

BUUser
Level 3

This may be a permissions based issue. I am trying to restore these VM's to a completely different Vmware infrastructure...not on our domain at all. When I try this same restore job on the already existing infrastructure it restores ok.

What is required to backup images from one host and restore to another host that is not on the domain?