cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 backup to disk offline on reboot and HP drivers

T-Grace
Level 2
Hi,
I have just completed an upgrade from a working 12.5 to a failed 2010.
Environment :
Windows Server x64 2008, VMware ESXi 4.0.1, HP 1/8 G2 autoloader.
This was all working successfully on Backup Exec 12.5.

Since the upgrade:
On reboot all backup to disk folders are offline, they can be manually reset to online but this is a real problem.

I cannot get the tape drive to be recognized at all, the device wizard can see the SCSI device for the tape but not the tape changer.
Both devices show up in the windows devices correctly, I have tried removing and un-installing drivers with no success so far.

Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

T
4 REPLIES 4

T-Grace
Level 2
I have successfully installed the x64 device hot-fix and this has now the tape drive showing up in the robotic library OK.
I still have the problem that on every restart all devices and backup folders are offline.

The tape drive checks out OK with the HP tape test utilities.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi T-Grace,

Does your backup server exist on a physical server, or as a VM? If a VM , and you have 2 hosts with the autoloader connected to 1, the minute the VM Vmotions, it is going to go offline.
Locally attached devices are not supported in a VM environment like this, especially with VMware ESXi.
Best bet would be to move the backups to a physical server in this case, or look at a cheaper MSL2024 with SAN-attach capabilities.
If not a VM, I would look at installing the latest SP for BEWS 12.5, and then pushing the RAWS agent out again to all the remote servers.

Laters!

Asbj_rn_Morell
Level 2
Hi,

I have the same problem with a physical Backup Exec 2010 installation. (deduplication target) The devies will come online after 30-60 mins, but all jobs will remain queued.

Best regards
Asbjørn Morell.

Bryan_Harvell
Level 3
I am having a simmiliar problem with mt B2D folder going offline after a SQL backup and causing my main job to fail. The folder remains offline till I manually place it back to on.

Brand new install of 2010
Server 2008 SP2
B2D folder on SAN with teamed fibre NICs connection

I had this same issue on the old server, ...