cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 server service crashing after daily SQL BKUPEXEC database backup runs

Jon_Hicks
Level 3
Partner
Every day at 4am, immediately after the local Backup Exec database backup completes, the backup exec server process crashes with the following event in the application event log:

Event ID: 1000

Faulting application beserver.exe, version 13.0.2896.0, time stamp 0x4b173f02, faulting module MSVCP80.dll, version 8.0.50727.4053, time stamp 0x4a5938bd, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000000000002ba5c, process id 0x%9, application start time 0x%10.

backupexec-crash.png

Operating System is Windows Server 2008 64bit.

29 REPLIES 29

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
It seems you might have missed on changing user locale of some user, possible BE service account. In order to confirm that this is exactly the case, try setting system locale to English-US, and then user locale should not make difference. Please note that a reboot will be required afte changing system locale.

Thanks

fiNal
Level 4
the workaround posted in http://support.veritas.com/docs/346881 worked for me. Note that you need to set the system locale of the user which runs your backup exec services, not the user you're administrating backup exec with. I guess for many people, you have never actually logged on to a server with that user.

So open the BE console, click network -> logon accounts. Check the username of the "System Logon Account". This is the user running your backup exec services (double-check in services.msc)
Now log off the windows box running be2010.
Log on with the user listed under "System Logon Account".
Change the system locale of that user to the same as your machine.
Reboot the PC.

Yehuda_Matan
Level 3

i'm experiencing exactly  the same problem with the new BE2010 / server 2003

i'll try the solution suggested above, hope it woks.

Dmitriy_Anderso
Level 2

The system locale workaround does work! Started to work from the second try...

STRGER
Level 3

In my case the workaround fixed the problem (set the system local to english)

Mat_Ashmore
Level 4
worked for me to - windows server 2003.

Mike_Lawler
Level 4
Another option that has worked for me is to just setup a scheduled task to run a Net Start on the services that get shut down, I set it to run 30 munites after the database maintenance runs.  Of course, for the site that is getting this my backups are done a few hours before so it's not an issue really for us.  If your backups take all night long than this can be a pretty big issue and my workaround wouldn't work at all.

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
This was identifed as an issue between regional settings of the BE service account (profile) and the server itself that caused a problem when DB maintenance ran - there is a Hotfix now available that should solve the problem - so patching you server fully up to date should fix the issue.

Mike_Lawler
Level 4
Ahh, rock on, thanks Colin.

Mike_Lawler
Level 4
Hmmm, I just ran liveupdate and it's not finding any new patches.  The only hotfix that it has is the one it grabbed when I first installed it.  Hotfix 340433.