cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 vs. HP StorageWorks 1/8 G2 Autoloader

carles_bonet
Level 3
Dear friend.
I'm desperate with my HP StorageWorks 1/8 G2 autoloader. It's connected to a Windows 2003 R2 server througth SCASI.
I use BackupExec 2010 software and I install all the updates avaiable until now.
The problem is that BackupExec does not recognizes the HP system like a library and it's recognized like an alone tape.
I install all the updates, all de drivers HP, all the drivers symantec, etc.... I've read all the forums and documents in the web and I've tried their suggested solutions with no results.
It works perfectly like an alone tape, but I'm missing out on benefits of the HP library.
If anyone can help me with these issue I will be extremely grateful.
Thank you very much.
25 REPLIES 25

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified
Check windows device manager, if medium changer is listed there then try the below steps

1) Open BE console, Click on Tools->Wizards-> Device Configuration 

2) Select configure robotic library and proceed further

3) If your device appears under standalone tape drive, drag n drop it below Robotic libraries.

carles_bonet
Level 3

Hi Amol.
I've tried it but it has no results. The system doesn't let me move the device from the standalone tape drive to the robotic libraries. I move it under "robotc..." but it returns "under the standalone tape...".
Another idea, please?
Thank you very much Amol!.
Carles

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified
Hey Carles

Could you please post the exact model of the device.

carles_bonet
Level 3
Hi Amol.
Here you are:

Serial Number
MXA9401001
  Product ID 1x8 G2 AUTOLDR
  Currently Installed Autoloader Firmware 2.70 / 2.00n
  Bootcode Firmware Revision 0.60
  Autoloader Mode Automatic, Sequential
  WWide Node Name 50014380032BAFD0

It's like it:

Thanks!

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

I normally found success with SCSI ID4 being set on the autoloader.
That said, you need to make sure it is attached to its own SCSI card, and is not shared with a controller that also hosts HDDs. This is against HP best practice on this front.
It is on the supported HCL. I know because we use them (and I cannot wait to get rid of them...had too many issues!).
That said, you can also check to make sure that Removable Storage service is stopped and disabled. This is another possible cause for the autoloader not working. If this is the case (RSM is enabled, and you have stopped/disabled it), restart your BE services, and then start the Device Configuration Wizard again.

Laters!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Under the Windows Device Manager, did you see an Unknow Media Changer and a HP tape drive?

carles_bonet
Level 3
Hi friends
I try to do that CraigV said in his message but the Removible Storage Service is stopped and disabled.
How can I see that the HP library is atached to ITS OWN  SCSI card and it isn't shared with another dispositive?.
pkh
 asked if I saw an unknow media under Windows Device Manager. I see it:

Thanks for your help!

pkh
   VIP    Certified
For my library which is a MSL2024, the library is listed under the Device Manager as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver.  Yours is listed as something else and the yellow question mark means that it is not installed correctly.  That is why BE cannot recognise it.

CraigV
That is referring to an HP StorageWorks MSA2012fc - that is disk-based storage.
Do you have 1 of these in your environment?
If not, go and install the HP drivers for the autoloader, and then check to see if this resolves it. If it does, and you can see your robotics (I have 1 or 2 sites that show this), uninstall the drivers, reboot, and see if the driver shows the device as Unknown Medium Changer...

carles_bonet
Level 3
Hi.
I have an MSA with 8 disks for a common storage in a Virtual environment ESX.
These entry belongs to it.
For tapes the entry that the system shows is HP LTO-Ultrium 3 drive??. I uninstall it from device manager and restart the server, but the device manager shows it again.
.... i don't know what more to do....

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Try replacing the Storport version of the LSI Logic 1020/1030 Ultra320 SCSI Adapter driver the with the SCSIPort version of this driver and see if that helps....I belive the medium changer is not detected by the OS ..Make sure you dont connect your changer to scsi Id 0 or 1 as they are reserved for bootable devices..

CraigV
Have you looked at maybe changing the SCSI ID of the autoloader? I normally set mine to 4...

carles_bonet
Level 3
Sorry but,
How can I change it?.
Thanks

CraigV
Hi Carles,

Straight from the HP website:

SCSI installation problems
Problems encountered during installation are usually caused by improper SCSI bus configuration, application software configuration errors, or an incorrectly configured operating system. If the application software does not communicate with the device after installation, check the following:
  • SCSI ID : The device is pre-configured to SCSI ID 4. Depending on other devices attached to the same SCSI bus and their SCSI IDs, the SCSI ID will need to be changed before using the device. Review the manuals for the other devices on the SCSI bus or the operating system to determine which SCSI IDs are currently in use. Change the SCSI ID with the Operator control panel (OCP) or Remote management interface (RMI).
  • Multiple LUN support : The device uses two Logical Unit Numbers (LUNs) to control the tape drive (LUN 0) and robotic (LUN 1). The device requires an HBA with multiple LUN support and multiple LUN support must be enabled on the host computer. When multiple LUN support is not enabled, the host computer can see the tape drive, but not the Tape Autoloader.

CraigV
...and how to change the SCSI ID:

Changing the SCSI ID of the tape drive: all models
To change the SCSI ID of the tape drive, complete the following steps:
    • Ultrium 232, Ultrium 448 and Ultrium 960:
      From the Home Screen press + or - until Go Offline displays on the top line of the LCD screen. Press Enter to select. Press + or - until Configuration displays on the top line of the LCD screen. Press Enter to select.
    • All other models:
      From the Home Screen or Main menu, press + or - until Configuration displays on the top line of the LCD screen. Press Enter to select.
  1. Press + or - until Change SCSI ID displays on the top line of the LCD screen. Press Enter to select.
  2. Press + or - until Drive displays on the bottom line of the LCD screen. Press Enter to select.
  3. Press + or - until the desired SCSI ID is displayed. Press Enter . The LCD screen displays Cycle Power for New SCSI ID .
  4. Turn off the autoloader, then turn it back on again. The selected SCSI ID is now in effect.
  NOTE: If you changed the SCSI ID, you must also cycle power on the host server, and reconfigure your backup software before you can use the autoloader. Consult your hardware and software manuals for more information.
Changing the SCSI ID of the tape autoloader: Ultrium 230, Ultrium 460 and SDLT 320 models only
To change the SCSI ID of the autoloader controller, complete the following steps:
1. From the Home screen or Main menu, press + or - until Configuration displays on the top line of the LCD screen. Press Enter to select.
2. Press + or - until Change SCSI ID displays on the top line of the LCD screen. Press Enter to select.
3. Press+ or - until Loader displays on the bottom line of the LCD screen. Press Enter to select.
4. Press + or - until the desired SCSI ID is displayed. Press Enter . The LCD screen displays Cycle Power for New SCSI ID .
5. Turn off the autoloader, then turn it back on again. The selected SCSI ID is now in effect.
  NOTE: If you changed the SCSI ID, you must also cycle power on the host server and reconfigure your backup software before you can use the autoloader. Consult your hardware and software manuals for more information.

CraigV
Hi,

Has any of this helped? If so, can you please close off with the solution?

Thanks!

carles_bonet
Level 3
Hi every body, again.
Studying the case we reach to the follow conclusion:
We think that the server's SCSI target is not compatible with multi LUN explore process. The target's model  is HP Smart Array 642.
When the server starts it's impossible to configure the target to make a multi LUN scan.
The compatibility table SCSI target - HP Ultrium 1/8 Autoloader only shows the last 3 years ago, and our target is maded on 2004.
Someone knows if our target SCSI HP Smart Array 642 is compatible with multi LUN scan process?.
Thanks!

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited
You are trying to attach a SCSI library to an ARRAY controller ???
This is normally not supported, you will need a 'normal' SCSI adapter to get this working.

carles_bonet
Level 3

Hi Friends!

Finally, we bought a new SCSI card and .... the Symantech BackupExec 2010 recognizes the autoloader and the drive.

But now, I 've another problem.

I program a copy from the disc to the autoloader. It begins perfectly but in a few minuts from the start it fails with this error message:

"Error final: 0xe00084f4 - Ha ocurrido un error desconocido. Categoría de error final: Errores de sistema Para obtener información adicional acerca de este error, vaya al vínculo V-79-57344-34036"

Translation from the spanish: "It has ocurred an unknow error...."

I do'nt know what to do. I try to uninstall it and install again with the same results.

Some one can helps me?

Thanks!