cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2010 with Exchange 2010: Exchange 2010 Management Tools really needed?

layer9
Level 2

Hi,

I'm currently testing Backup Exec 2010 R3 with Exchange 2010 SP2. Do the Exchange Management Tools really need to be installed on the Media Server? I have just tested Backup & Restore without having the Tools installed and everything seems to be working just fine!

Thanks
Michael

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

To be more clear to what CraigV had to say... Exchange Managements tools is required on the Media server more for Granular Restore Technology (GRT).

So as said its better to have them installed.

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

If i remember correctly the tools are not required for the backup, but for the restores.

Did you also test a restore ?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Michael,

It is a requirement in terms of Symantec's Best Practices fo rthe Exchange 2010 agent. I'd adhere to them. Come a time when you run into an issue and log a call with Symantec (or here!), you're going to be told you're not complying and will have to install it.

It doesn't add much overhead to the daily running of the server, so put it on. At least you are running a supported configuration.

Thanks!

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

To be more clear to what CraigV had to say... Exchange Managements tools is required on the Media server more for Granular Restore Technology (GRT).

So as said its better to have them installed.

Thanks,

-Sush...

layer9
Level 2

Hi Zero and Craig,

thanks! I actually tested both a restore of single items with GRT and a database recovery to a Recovery Database and both worked just fine.

Anyways, I will follow your recommendation and install the Management Tools as well. Thanks :)

Best Regards,
Michael