Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec 2012 P2V Question

Jordanco
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi

I have two questions regarding P2V convertion.on Hyper-V

1.In the offical KB "requriments for convertion to virtual machines"there is a statemnt claming that "Only basic disks are supported. Dynamic disks are not supported". This means that in the convertion settings=>disk configuration the disk type for the VHD to be created must be "Fixed Size"?

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO74212&profileURL=https%3A%2F%2Fs...

2.I am backing up Windows Server 2003,the "C" partition is 280 Gb,the SDR backup is 29 Gb (backing up to a deduplication store).When seting the option for the virtual convertion setting in disk configuration the VHD size displays the original size the partition (280 Gb) regardles of how many free space i have on the partition.This means that i must have (280 Gb) or more free space on the destination Hyper-V server where the VHD will be created?

Thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Jordan,

Yes. You will require that much space available on the server where VHD will be created.

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Sush---
Level 6

Hello Jordan,

Here are the answers to your query:

1.In the offical KB "requriments for convertion to virtual machines"there is a statemnt claming that "Only basic disks are supported. Dynamic disks are not supported". This means that in the convertion settings=>disk configuration the disk type for the VHD to be created must be "Fixed Size"?

--> If you go to the Disk Management of the Physical server, there you should see the type of disk should be Basic and not Dynamic.

In the Disk Configuration it shows the type of VHD which you can select as Fixed or Dynamically Increasing.

2.I am backing up Windows Server 2003,the "C" partition is 280 Gb,the SDR backup is 29 Gb (backing up to a deduplication store).When seting the option for the virtual convertion setting in disk configuration the VHD size displays the original size the partition (280 Gb) regardles of how many free space i have on the partition.This means that i must have (280 Gb) or more free space on the destination Hyper-V server where the VHD will be created?

--> Here the number is VHD files it will create is equal to the number of physical hard disk attached to the server. Though it will create the complete size VHD file like 280 GB in this case it will only consume the amount of space which has data. So any Free space on your C: drive will not be consumed by the VHD file.

Hope the queries are answered.

Regards,

-Sush...

Jordanco
Level 4
Partner Accredited

Hi Sush

Thanks for the reply.Regarding the second question does that mean that i must have (in my case 280 GB) space on the server where the VHD will be created in order for the conversion to begin?

Sush---
Level 6

Hello Jordan,

Yes. You will require that much space available on the server where VHD will be created.

Thanks,

-Sush...