cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec B2D Usage

marcymarc24
Level 4

Could someone explain to me how data is stored within the backup to disk folder (with dedup set)?  We have capacity issues on a disk folder even after I have erased a number of images from the folder in Backup Exec (2010 R3).

I've browsed the folder in explorer and in the folder I see .bin and .bhd files dating back from the start date of backups on this system.  We have append and overwrite settings of 2 weeks.  I'm surprised that the used capacity isn't decreasing at all after erasing media.

Any explanation appreciated.

Thanks 

11 REPLIES 11

ArulPrasad
Level 6
Employee

The backup to disk folder contains .bkf files,

Can You brief with the Setup and what backups are eing run the backup to disk folder (Like GRT enabled backups, and NON -GRT Backups)

If You have IMG folder inside the backup to disk folder (it would contain the RAW data of the data bieng backed up  , eg: exchange will have the edb files , )

Erasing the IMG files from backup exec Will wipe out the data in the folder (physical location)

You might need To setup the Media Set assigned to the Job with Overwrite protection and Append Period for the media being used.

from the Media tab : Create a Media set with Overwrite protection and Append Period (Do the maths with the level Of free space and Amount Data being Backed up per day/week/month to the backup to disk folder)

>> Now from the Job> select the Media set that you created  in the Device and media section

This SHould Automate and reclaim the space After Certain period.

marcymarc24
Level 4

There are a number of VMWare backups, they had for a while the GRT setting on incorrectly.  We don't have remote agent on any of the servers so the GRT setting was removed.

We have a 800Gb B2D disk, full backups are around 200Gb and we have the 2 week append and overwrite setting.

It's only become an issue this week for some reason, backups have been running for about 5 months.

Just wondering why all the bhd and bin files in the folder are all there from 5 months back?  Something to do with dedup?  These are the files using up all the space.

ArulPrasad
Level 6
Employee

Ok 2 weeks Of append and What would be the overwrite Period,

Start afresh with new Backup to disk folder try may be using OPP of 14 Days and APP to be 0 (disable )

marcymarc24
Level 4

Append and overwrite settings are both set to 2 weeks.

Jim_Bruce
Level 3

Erasing the IMG files from backup exec Will wipe out the data in the folder (physical location) 

Can you explain this a bit more.  It sounds like you're saying if you erase the IMG files from the B2D location, it will cause problems with the source files on the server being backed up.   I hope this would not be the case.

ArulPrasad
Level 6
Employee

We are talking about the destination the backup to disk folder not the Source. the backup to disk folder will create the IMG000x folder for GRT enabled backups for different Application to disk. Erasing Or reclaiming the sapce will wipe the Existing backup data.

ArulPrasad
Level 6
Employee

well In that Case total 2 weeks + the data backup completed (If the backup to specific bkf completes after 2 days , i.e 30 gb bkf file can be appended for 2 days and Then It can be protected for 2+14 days)

better have the protection in a right away . if you have the Default backup to disk folder settings the bkf files (4 gb) turn off the Overwrite protection

pkh
   VIP    Certified

@apr - I believe the OP is talking about his dedup folder and not a B2D folder.

ArulPrasad
Level 6
Employee

Alriite if its a Dedupe device , DO NOT ERASE THE DATA FROM THE PHYSICAl LOCATION!!

.bin files are required for the Content Router and Each and every files in the Dedupe acts as a Poniters to your actual data wich is Deduplicated.

Reclaiming the space for dedupe Manually: Please follw the this Article

For Autoamtic Media set , You can follow the earlier Comments from me.

marcymarc24
Level 4

Thanks

teiva-boy
Level 6

Remember, doing the command, frees up absolutely ZERO disk space.  All it does is mark space within the dedupe files to be overwritten.

Think of the files as containers or buckets.  Once the container is created, it's never deleted.  Data is put into the container, and overtime it would be marked for appending or overwrite, but the container always remains.  This container is a FIXED size, regardless of it containing valid dedupe segments or just recently being erased, it'll always be present and this fixed size.

This process was designed so as to prevent file fragmentation.  It does a great job of this, but folks don't understand the process off erasing media and what it really does or not...

You need to actually free up space?  Get a bigger disk, or start over by uninstalling the dedupe option and reinstalling.