cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Disabling xp_cmdshell on Remote SQL Server

Voltboy
Not applicable

Hi,

Everytime my backup exec services are started the xp_cmdshell on my remote SQL Server gets disabled. How can I prevent this?

Environment is Backup Exec 2010 R3 with all latest patches running on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Enterprise. Backup Exec database located on remote SQL Server 2008 R2 running on Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1 Enterprise.

Thx

Craig 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...although BE can run its BEDB on a remote server, I have seen forum comments in the past strongly recommending against this. It has an impact on the remote SQL server when certain functions are performed.

I'd honestly recommend you install SQL Express 2005 that comes with BE and then move the BEDB back to your media server. The BEDB doesn't grow that much or that fast if you keep things pretty much default and there is little impact on the media server when running SQL Express.

SQL Server 2008 R2 itself is supported as a database platform for the BEDB, so your issue isn't related to an unsupported configuration.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...although BE can run its BEDB on a remote server, I have seen forum comments in the past strongly recommending against this. It has an impact on the remote SQL server when certain functions are performed.

I'd honestly recommend you install SQL Express 2005 that comes with BE and then move the BEDB back to your media server. The BEDB doesn't grow that much or that fast if you keep things pretty much default and there is little impact on the media server when running SQL Express.

SQL Server 2008 R2 itself is supported as a database platform for the BEDB, so your issue isn't related to an unsupported configuration.

Thanks!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Strongly concur with Craig about using SQL Express on your media server

If you use a named MS SQL instance, in case of disaster recovery you have to rebuild both your media server AND your SQL server to the point that you can restore the BEDB before you can start your BackupExec based recovery.