cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Error: e0009418 - Access to a device was not authorized with this edition of Backup Exec.

toshiaki_yamagu
Level 3

Hi!

I´m having an issue to run backups on backup exec. There was another installation before, the domain was changed and the file server too. The backup exec was running into fails to log on the database (sql) and in the end the server for backup exec was rebuild. Have installed an updated version of backup exec 11d (7170), installed the agent on our file server. Everything went fine... the backup for the backup exec server run fine. But the backup on the remote machine, the file server, always have this error:

Error             : e0009418 - Access to a device was not authorized with this edition of Backup Exec.

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-37912

The license for backup exec was installed on the beggining. Don´t know if have some other license to install in order to backup remote server... can someone help with this issue?

Thank you

Toshiaki

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hi

With what so ever backup exec version you use 10d or 11d and above to backup remote server which is windows server or Linux server you need remote agent license for windows or Linux additionally on remote server or  media server if you are doing backup of application like SQL ,Exchange etc you would need a license like SQL,Exchange etc for same.

So ensure apart from base license of backup exec for 11d you have got additional license for remote agent or if backing up any application then application license is installed and that should help you to backup 

If you have any queries in terms of licenses please contact Symantec licensing support on 18003272232 and they should help in terms any licesnising issue you have

Hope that helps

Thanks

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Gurvinder

Refer this article. Seems you are running into something similar

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH24882

toshiaki_yamagu
Level 3

I already saw this article.. I was trying to follow, but this is a new installation, the server was erased... the database is also new for this backup exec. I checked the agent, installed it again,

The thing is I cant even do a backup of a share.. nor a disk or anything. only on local server.

toshiaki_yamagu
Level 3

I forgot that I installed first a verson 11d build 6xxx and have some errors installing the agent, then I removed and installed the 11d 7xxx that I said before..

Gurvinder

Just to ensure its a problem with the licenses you can remove the license and put the software in trial, then attempt the same backup and see if that works or not. Then you can figure out which license may be missing.

toshiaki_yamagu
Level 3

Hi,

I removed the license... initiated trial mode, backup worked... so how can I isee wich license is missing? I have just one here for backup exec... is there a license to the agent? the server and remote are windows.

Also, I am not sure if the version is correct of the backup exec, they gave me the backup exec 11d, but I though the one installed was the version 10. Would this also generate this issue or the backup exec would tell me if I put the license to another version on the installation?

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Since you are backing up SQL, at the minimum, you need the core BE licence and the SQL agent licence. If you have only one licence, this means that most likely your SQL agent licence is missing.

Normally, you cannot use licences meant for one version of BE for another version.  If the licence is accepted, this means that it can be used.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

With what so ever backup exec version you use 10d or 11d and above to backup remote server which is windows server or Linux server you need remote agent license for windows or Linux additionally on remote server or  media server if you are doing backup of application like SQL ,Exchange etc you would need a license like SQL,Exchange etc for same.

So ensure apart from base license of backup exec for 11d you have got additional license for remote agent or if backing up any application then application license is installed and that should help you to backup 

If you have any queries in terms of licenses please contact Symantec licensing support on 18003272232 and they should help in terms any licesnising issue you have

Hope that helps

Thanks

toshiaki_yamagu
Level 3

Thank you.... I have only normal files to backup, its a shared folder. Doesn´t have SQL, exchange or other files. So there should be a license for the agent right? Even files as sheets, documents etc. I believe they have but they did´n´t give then... the previous installation was working 2 weeks ago.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You would need a RAWS licence to back up a shared folder.

Backup_Exec1
Level 6

Hi

To backup shared files and folder on any remote server you atleast need one remote agent license else if you want to protect the remote server as a whole you would need remote agent license as per how many remote server you backup

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Thank you for confirming what I have said.

Gurvinder

When you go to selections for the Backup and go to text view. Do you see LOCALSERVERNAME\BKUPEXEC instance included. If yes, you can remove that and then rerun the backup.

toshiaki_yamagu
Level 3

Thank you for your help. The only problem I got after this was that the tape stopped... Was working, but then the inventory failed.... saying was not ready. I did a backup to disk to finish my tests and it worked, I will have to look with the field to verify the tape.

Regards!