cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Exchange Agent Installation

John_Grist
Level 3
I am installing Backup Exec 10d Exchange Agent for Windows on our new Exchange server. This is the first time I've installed this particular agent and I have some really basic questions:

1) Is the Exchange Agent for Windows the only agent required to connect the backup server to the Exchange server or do I need to push out Remote Agent for Windows, too.

2) If both agents are required, is there a certain order of installation? Remote Agent or Exchange Agent first?

3) If Remote Agent for Windows is required, is the advanced file open required?

4) Will installing either of these agents require that the Exchange server be rebooted?

Any other concerns I should be aware of?

Thanks

John Grist
City of Amarillo, Texas
3 REPLIES 3

David_Sanz
Level 6
Partner
John, here you are

1) The Exchange agent has to be activated (I prefer saying this than installed) on the Backup Exec server. It is just a license code that lets Backup Exec see Exchange resources. The remote agent for Windows Systems has to be installed on the Exchange server, and the Exchange agent license includes the remote agent's (no need to purchase two things).

2) After you install the Backup Exec server with the Exchange option activated, you must push install the Windows agent to the Exchange machine.

3) No

4) No

Regards

John_Grist
Level 3
David,

Which agent do I push to the Exchange server? The Exchange Agent or Remote Agent for Windows?

Thanks for your help

John Grist

David_Sanz
Level 6
Partner
The remote agent for Windows

As I told you, the Exchange agent is nothing but a code you have to activate in your Backup Exec server when you are prompted to enter the licence codes. It is not something you install anywhere.

Regards