cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec - Hyper-V slow backups - Windows 2012 R2

TheDeadOne
Level 2

Hi,

I have been using Backup Exec 2014 to backup VMs via the Hypervisor and I was receiving a job-rate between 1000-2000MB/min to tape. However, once I applied the latest hotifxes this throughput dropped dramatically to around 200MB/min. I have gone through the troubleshooting document https://support.symantec.com/en_US/article.TECH49521.html, the throughput test came back at around 2000MB/min and the other sections of the document have not revealed the cause.

There are no firewalls in the way - the backup server and hypervisors are on the same subnet and windows firewall is disabled on all servers.

The backup server is running Windows 2008 R2 SP1 Std, the hypervisors are running Windows 2012 R2 Datacenter and the latest integration tools are installed on the VMs.

We also have SQL backups running that are achieving a job rate average of 1200MB/min to disk.

As an experiment I have installed Backup Exec 15 on a test server (Windows 2012 R2 Std) to see if there are any improvements to the VM backups to disk but, the job rate remains about 200MB/min.

On a hosting hypervisor I regularly see the following event for VMs that are being backed up (often multiple times during the backup but, not everytime):

Log Name: Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS-Admin
Source: Microsoft-Windows-Hyper-V-VMMS
Date: 06/06/2015 02:31:21
Event ID: 19050
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords:
User: SYSTEM
Computer: Servername
Description: 'ComuterName' failed to perform the operation. The virtual machine is not in a valid state to perform the operation.

Can you please advise how best to continue troubleshooting this issue.

Cheers,

Steve

2 REPLIES 2

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Were the remote agents updated as well with the HFs ?

As an experiment I have installed Backup Exec 15 on a test server (Windows 2012 R2 Std) to see if there are any improvements to the VM backups to disk but, the job rate remains about 200MB/min.

Was the BE 15 agent installed on the hypervisor ? And was this a GRT backup or a non GRT backup throughput ?

TheDeadOne
Level 2

The remote agents were updated for the BE 2014 installation. Sorry but, what is HFs?

This is a production environment and I haven't updated the agents to BE 15 for the testing - BE 2014 is used in production.

These are non-GRT backups.