cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec Not working

Greg_Dinapoli
Level 3
When the daily backup is running, after it hits about 116MB, The current tape ejects, then it asks me to put in another tape. When I do, the Backup Exec service stops running and then the back exec fails on time out?

Any suggestions or do you need more info?
11 REPLIES 11

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello Greg,

How much data are you backing up in the daily job? What is the capacity of the tape? Are you using compression? In case the tape is full, backup exec will ask for another overwriteable media in order to continue with the job. It will also give you an alert to insert an overwriteable media in the drive. Once you insert the new media, you need to respond to the alert. You can thus verify in the alerts tab in backup exec and see if such an alerts is prodeced. If yes, do respond to it.

If the issue persists, revert with the error message in the events log or in backup exec. Also check for any active alerts.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked �assumed answered� and would be moved to �answered questions� pool.

Regards.

Greg_Dinapoli
Level 3
We back up approximately 116GB a day. The tape holds 160GB The tape drive is VXA II. We have compression on. The problem is that after we insert the second tape and acknowledge the tape inserted through the alerts, the back up service stops and then eventually the job cancels on time out. This never happened before and started happening after we installed the latest service pack REV 4691.

Here are the events:

Faulting application bengine.exe, version 9.1.4691.54, faulting module bengine.exe, version 9.1.4691.54, fault address 0x000aa279

Backup Exec Alert: Job Cancellation
(Server: "NYCFS1") (Job: "Daily Full Backup") The job was automatically canceled because it
exceeded the job's maximum configured
run time.

Does this error have anything to do with it:

The database "First Storage Group\Public Folder Store (NYCFS1)" has 1 megabytes of free space after online defragmentation has terminated.

There are no active alerts as I always clear them after ever job...
Please help !!!!!!!!

Sharvari_Deshmu
Level 6
Hello,

Are you getting any alerts that you are not responding immediately.

Please configure the alerts to respond immediately with the help of the technote:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/192055

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Joshua_Small_2
Level 4
Hi Greg,

Your initial post says 116MB, I'll assume you mean GB.

You say your tapes are supposed to hold 160GB. Is that the "with compression" rating? Because if your tapes are 80GB, and have a theoretical capacity of 160GB assuming 2:1 compression, then you are using marketing dream numbers to discuss your capacity.

2:1 is never achieved in the real world, and if you're spitting a tape out at 116GB, you're getting 1.45:1, which is pretty good.

Your tapes are full.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Please update us on this issue.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Greg_Dinapoli
Level 3
Sorry, I have not replied sooner, but this web site was not allowing me to login and post a response. Any ideas why?

Any way, We run our back up at nite and if it now requires a second tape then it will have to wait till the morning. Will the software be ok with that?
Also you never responded to my question about why the back up engine service stops? Is this all related?
Thanks for everyone help.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Are you running SP4a?

Are you current on firmware and drivers for both the tape drive and the controller?

Greg_Dinapoli
Level 3
Yes I belive Im current on all of my drivers

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

-- When the backup asks you for a new overwritable tape do you have a tape in the scratch media pool that can be taken for the backup?

-- Please download and install the latest version 2.8 of the Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) from the Microsoft Website. (Available at the time of writing)
If you already have then re-install it.

-- Reboot the server

-- Try performing small Backup jobs and check at which point the Backup fails that is while backing up which data the error is generated

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Greg_Dinapoli
Level 3
After I downloaded the MDAC,and rebooted my computer, I received the following error 3 times after the server was done rebooting:

Reporting queued error: faulting application bengine.exe, version 9.1.4691.54, faulting module bengine.exe, version 9.1.4691.54, fault address 0x000aa215.

Same error message for all 3 except for the fault address.

What is happening is when I run the backup at nite, after when I arrive in the morning, it is waiting for me to insert another tape ( which is in my media pool) and once it starts working, the backupexec job engine shuts down, then I restart it through backup exec, backup exec does nothing with the tape anymore and eventually it will time out.

Do I need to run the tape backups during the day so I can immediately change the tape when it is required (which i hope not, because I can't be around the server the whole time), or is there a fix for this.

Please, I have been having this problem for a while now and I really need help.!
Do I need to reinstall the program? Please HELP!!!!!!!!

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

-- Is backup exec installed on a existing Sql instance or on the MSDE Instance?

-- Do you receive any other events in the event logs...

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered
and would be moved to answered questions pool.