cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Exec gets stuck after verification

Captain_Pie
Level 3

Hi guys,

I am currently managing 2 different customers with a similar issue.

The first customer has 2 sites; 1 server running SQL at site 1, 1 server running exchange and data shares at site 1, and 1 server running DFS with a copy of all the data and exchange at site 2 down a leased line as a failover or access for the local users there. All three servers run windows server 2008 r2 enterpries and have backup exec 2010 installed and all were running fine. Now the site 2 server is running for hours after the job log states it has finished the verification stage of the backup! for example the last backup was initiated at 8.00pm on 11th July, it was still running at 9.00am 14th July. in the job log it states that the verification phases all ended by 10.00pm on 11th July. the only way I have been able to kill the job is stopping the backup exec services and starting them again. it then comes up with an error of E0008821

the other customer has one site with one server running sbs03 and backup exec 11d, once again the backups run through but never complete after verification says it is finished. once again the only way here to end the backup is to stop all the services, on this server however i have to use sysinternals processexplorer to kill the backup eexec job engine as that gets stuck in a stopping state and never comes out of it. when i cancel these backups there is no error code, however previously we had been getting E0008821, E00081D9, E0008821, E00084CA.

any leads?

13 REPLIES 13

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Do you see any alerts(media insert or media remove) in the alerts tab waiting for your response

Captain_Pie
Level 3

hi Amol,

thanks for the reply!

customer 1 server 2008 r2 - no alerts

customer 2 with sbs03 server - no alerts

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Open job log and check if any resource is taking long time for backup and verify process.

Hope you have checked active alerts & alert history tab in the BE console.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Captain,

You don't mention the hardware...is it a stand-alone drive you're backing up to? If so, is the tape in the drive as this would cause a Verify job to continue running until the tape was installed.

That said, are both media servers patched, and have these patches been push-installed onto any remote servers you may have?

Thanks!

Captain_Pie
Level 3

CraigV,

on customer 1 the drive is an external scsi drive (Tandberg LTO3), tape is in

on customer 2 the drive is an internal scsi drive (Tandberg LTO2), tape is in

will double check the latest patches are on.

no remote servers.

Cheers

CraigV

OK cool...but just check the jobs and make sure they aren't set to eject the tapes after they complete.

Captain_Pie
Level 3

Amol,

no active alerts on either server, and on both, the actual backup and verify processes are running through at what i would expect the normal time span to be. they say completed for the different segments but the backup just isnt finishing!

Captain_Pie
Level 3

the jobs are set to eject when complete, could this cause an issue if the job doesnt mark as completed?

CraigV

...could very well be doing that...if it ejects the tape before the Verify job launches, then the Verify job just runs, and should prompt you to put the tape back in again...

Captain_Pie
Level 3

took off the eject when completed option, but stuck again this morning . .

unless the assigned tape changers are being very overeager to change tapes in the morning . . although i have told them not to

Captain_Pie
Level 3

checked the job logs, all the processes are going through at the right time scales, the last verify job is finishing but the actual job keeps running!

Captain_Pie
Level 3

have been monitoring the backups, the issue is still ocurring.

any other ideas?

CraigV

Mmm...only other 3 suggestions from my side would be:

1. Open up BEutility and run the DB repair on the BEDB. This would fix any issues.

2. If this doesn't fix it, run a repair of BE itself from Add/Remove Programs.

3. Upgrade to BE 2010 R3 and run LiveUpdate to get any available patches, before pushing these out to the remote servers you may have on that site.