cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Job Puzzling Occurrence

Ken_Bour
Level 2
Environment: 4 "source" servers (including CMS-NS0) and 1 "dest" server (NS4) installed. My first global BU attempt failed because the dest server ran out of space due to a miscalculation on my part. To start over, I reformatted that drive, deleted the original BU job in CPS, and then created 4 new indiv BU jobs -- one for each source server. I set all of the schedules to MANUAL initially. I then ran only one job last night (NS1) so that I could monitor the disk space on my dest server (NS4). This morning, CPS shows that only 1 job is running continuously (the others show "never run"); however, my dest server is at capacity. All of the other source servers are shown there with their data! How did that happen and what should I do now? I was only expecting data to be present from the one active job that was executed.

Q2: if I want to stop protecting a particular directory (e.g. MSSQL), is there a way to deselect it "on the fly" from an existing job or do I have to delete the job and start over?

Ken Bour
4 REPLIES 4

Bebeta_Support
Level 4
Titan:

Hi Ken,

1. In regards to the issue of the destination still being at capacity after having only run one job, It may be related to the original data possibly already being snapped from the job you had originally run or the restore backup destination data is still in the database.
If you destroy the Backup destination directory underneath CPS... If the file info is still in the database, It will still show data for restore and even though it is not on the drive any longer.

2. As for deselecting selections from a an existing job on the fly, please go to the setup tab, highlight Backup Jobs, choose the job in question and make the selection changes...
these will get picked up on next scan for continuous jobs and the next manual run of manual jobs.

Thank you for your post.

Ken_Bour
Level 2
Follow-up:

1) I suspect that you are correct about the data being in the D/B from the first job, which I subsequently deleted. I stopped the CPS services on those original source servers (e.g. NS2, NS3, NS0). Then, I deleted the CPS directories and cleared the Recycle Bin. Next, I went to the dest server (NS4) and deleted the files again. When I restarted the services, the CPS directories were put back in place. Have I successfully cleared the D/B of the original backups using that method? If not, how do I start over on those source servers since I had made several errors in the selections that I needed to change and I need to configure more drive space on my dest server.

2) I tried following your advice re: changing selections on a Never Run job. Under Backup Job Properties, I unchecked certain directories and clicked OK. As soon as I open that job again, though, the entries are still checked! It doesn't seem to allow the unchecking of a previously checked directory. Do I have to delete the job and recreate it?

Ken Bour
Netvantage

Ken_Bour
Level 2
I am still waiting for some guidance to my last post...

Ken Bour

Bebeta_Support
Level 4
Ken, If you destroy the Backup destination directory the database should update.
Please delete and recreate the backup job.

Thank you for your post.