cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Log reports corrupted mailbox

Kit_Cheng
Level 3
Hi,

Every Friday, I do a brick level backup of the mailboxes. Lately, the backup report have been reporting that a mailbox is corrupted. However, the mailbox name is a bunch of letters and numbers. The exact message is:

Warning:"Server\Microsoft Exchange Mailboxes\DFD0023753C75C1008925B2D49F98154BAA50E16F76B912F" is a corrupted file. This file cannot be verity.

What mailbox is this?

Thanks

Kit
7 REPLIES 7

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

The error can be caused by several factors. For a detailed information on those, refer to the following technote:

Title:When backing up Microsoft Exchange 5.5 / 2000 individual mailboxes, the message " WARNING: "?Top of Information Store?? " is a corrupt file. This file cannot verify." is returned in the backup log as an exception in Backup Exec
http://support.veritas.com/docs/255047

In case you are not using the lasted revision for Backup Exec 10.0, you can download it from the following link:

VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 10.0 rev. 5520 for Windows Servers Installation Files
http://support.veritas.com/docs/277181

Hope this helps resolve the problem. If it doesn't, write back with details.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Kit_Cheng
Level 3
Priya Khire,

Thanks for you reply. Your link help me understood better why an email would be corrupted and I will go ahead and update Backup Exec to the latest version. However, that's not my question though, my question was the strange mailbox name. I thought that might be the system mailbox's SID or RID but it is not. I've looked and all mailboxes being backed up belongs to an active user. So, what mailbox is corrupted? While I'm on the subject, the error log is displaying a lot of symbols and Chinese characters whenever it is logging an error. So strange. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Kit

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

If the anti-virus program gets a lock on a message when Backup Exec is trying to back it up, it will look like Chinese characters.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Kit_Cheng
Level 3
OK, would that corrupt any data? What about the strange mailbox name? Do we know what mailbox is that? Can anyone tell me please!!

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

Yes, if antivirus service is running during the backup then it can corrupt the data.

Are you using Windows 2003?

Have you selected mailboxes for backup under Shadow copy components and also under Exchange agent?

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.Message was edited by:
Deepali Badave

Kit_Cheng
Level 3
The Backup Exec media server is running on Windows 2000 Server. Every Friday, I perform the brick level backup for all mailboxes and public folders in addition to the backup of the IS.

Kit

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

You may try using the pre and post job commands to stop and start the antivirus service before and after the backups and verify the results.

Additional Information :
For information on the recent VERITAS Backup Exec security vulnerabilities, including links to the downloads for the necessary hotfixes, please refer to the following document:
Patch summary for Security Advisories VX05-001, VX05-002, VX05-003, VX05-005, VX05-006, VX05-007

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.