cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup Problem

Alan_Rechdan
Level 3
Dear All,

I have a Backup Exec 9.1 installed on our exchange 2003 and win 2003 server. The server uses Raid 5. I had HD problem with one of the HDs and had to replace it ... after the replcement of that HD which was rebuilt successfully ... Backup does not run anymore !!! and it get access denied messages.

Job ended: Wednesday, July 22, 2009 at 10:36:21 AM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xa0008488 - Access is denied.

Backup - \\EXCHANGE\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group WARNING: "\\EXCHANGE\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (EXCHANGE)" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.

Database Mailbox Store (EXCHANGE)
Access denied to database Mailbox Store (EXCHANGE).
WARNING: "\\EXCHANGE\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group\Mailbox Store (EXCHANGE)" is a corrupt file.
This file cannot verify.
Database or database element is corrupt
Database Public Folder Store (EXCHANGE)
Log Files

Any help will be very much appreciated. Thanks in advance.
23 REPLIES 23

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Try backing up exchange in seprate backup Job without the AOFO selected . and amke sure you dont have system state or shadow copy component selected int eh same backup job

Alan_Rechdan
Level 3
Hi ... thanks ... but it did not work ... any other ideas ? any ideas are very much appreciated. TIA

Alan_Rechdan
Level 3
Any ideas ...

KJavheri
Level 4
Employee

The above error generally appears when  you running the backup job during the Exchange Maintainance hours. 

Check what is your Exchange maintainance time and then from the Last failed Job log when did the Job for Exchange Database started. This will inform us if they both run at the same time.

Schedule the backup to run at the outside the exchange maintainance hours.

KJavheri
Level 4
Employee

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Try this out

http://support.veritas.com/docs/269156

http://support.veritas.com/docs/270459

Hope this helps you to resolve the issue

Not applicable
The Exchange backup fails with the following server
V-79-57344-33928 - Access Denied. Cannot backup directory Mailbox Database and its subdirectories.
- Checked the basic requiremetns to backup Exchange as follows

1.)
Install Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects 1.2.1 package on the Exchange 2007 server..
[ http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=E17E7F31-079A-43A9-BFF2-0A110307611E&displaylang=en ]

2.)
PowerShell :

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=10EE29AF-7C3A-4057-8367-C9C1DAB6E2BF&displaylang=en

Also install the Exchange Management Console on the Media server (If the Media server is 32bit, you'll have to download the 32bit version of Exchange Management Console).

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6be38633-7248-4532-929b-76e9c677e802&displaylang=en.

3.)
The Backup Exec Sevice account should have "Exchange Organization Administrator" rights on the Exchange server.

4.)
Check that the Backup Exec User account is not hidden in the Exchange address list.

Click on the Recipient Configuration ---> Select the User (Backup Exec Service Account) go to it's properties and make sure that the checkbox, "Hide From Exchange Address List" is unchecked..

=======================================================================================

If Everythings looks ok

Check the account used to backup Exchange 2007

the back admin account needs have the Exchange organazation admin permissions

if it has that create a new account with Exchage organization admin previllges and than try backup using that account
Let me know if this resolves ur issue

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Do not refer the steps from masti has he might have thought you are running 11d or highter version of backup exec and backing up exchange 2007

Alan_Rechdan
Level 3
i have looked at all the documents you posted here and nothing seems to fix this issue ... i also did other backup jobs that only backs up the information store ... and i am getting the same message !

imagebrowser image

Alan_Rechdan
Level 3
anyways i will try the main points and see what happens ... thanks

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner
Hi Alan,

Does the Information Store actually backup fully?
What do you see when you click restore and browse to the latest backup set?
Can you post a screenshot of the restore selections for the Information store?

If it's just failing on the verify it could be that there are corrupt or missing mailboxes and this is causing the verify to fail!

Regards,
Gilly

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
did u also check the documents which i referred ?

Alan_Rechdan
Level 3
yes i did ... thanks but i am still stuck ... maybe this is an exchange issue and not a symantec issue ...

Gilly-Bhoy
Level 6
Partner
Alan is the Resource Credential test successful?

Cheers,
Gilly

Alan_Rechdan
Level 3
and i have tried multiple credentials and they all work ...

KJavheri
Level 4
Employee
Probably this could be a Microsoft Exchange issue, to test this. Perform a NT backup of the Exchange IS and check if it completes sucessfully or not.

KJavheri
Level 4
Employee
Check in the event logs at time of backup failure what is event generated. Please paste that event ID here.

Alan_Rechdan
Level 3

what are the users that should be found on the exchsrvr folder in order for the backup exec to work right ... any ideas ? maybe its a security issue ...

Alan_Rechdan
Level 3
Backup Exec Alert: Job Failed
(Server: "EXCHANGE") (Job: "Backup 0016") Backup 0016 -- The job failed with the following error: Access is denied.