cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup baffles bewildered buffoon

Chris_Dusza
Not applicable
The scoop: I have BE running at 10:00 at night and set to auto cancel in 5 hours. I have a DAT72 tape drive backing up about 46~Gig of data on a WIN2000 Server.

The problem: When I get to work in the morning, the tape has popped out of the drive and the backup job says it is still running...for 9 hours. It seems to backup about 44~Gig(or so). When I go to look at the error messages I get the following.

"The media operation was terminated by the user."
"Error reading file data."
"Error reading file data."
"The network connection to the Backup Exec Remote Agent has been lost. Please check for network errors."
"A timeout occurred waiting for completion of media server data processing"

Now...the first 3 I understand. But the two after that...who knows?!?First of all, I am backing this up locally not over a network and secondly, what the heck does that last error message mean? Do I need to switch to a larger tape drive? Is something interfering with the backup process? Please help me!!!
2 REPLIES 2

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
As of v9, ALL backups are done throught the "Rremote Agent", even backups of the Media Server

If you have selected "eject on End" as part of the Job Description, then the job timer will keep ticking until you respond to the "remove Tape" alert

Sounds like you are almost finishing the job, but it gets timed out. Try extending the cancel to 5:30 or 6:00 hours

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

In addition you can refer the following technote to troubleshoot this issue further:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/270467

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.