cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup exec 11D gone crazy!

mrpush
Level 4

Hi, My 11 D has gone crazy.

Backups did not take last night so I open BE and check things out.  Job statuses show as "server paused".

When I go to devices tab, all backup to disk folders show as OFFLIINE, then ALL OF THEM change to "IN USE" followed by popups of "Device offline messages".

Never ending loop.

I Paused the server, and unpaused, still does same thing even when paused.  I restarted all BE services twice, still does same thing.  did not restart server yet as it is in use.

Whats wrong?

Thanks, much,

MP

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

That restart should free up the BE services and Unpause the server, so that should be your first step when you get a chance.

Otherwise, if you're not on rev 7170, upgrade to that with all the available SPs and patches, as rev. 6235 was bad! If you perform the upgrade, you can then check and make sure that the server is Unpaused.

Thanks!

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

Check the Windows event view for any error messages related to B2D.

Apart from B2D do you make use of any tape drive?

Also try rebooting the server.

mrpush
Level 4

Hi,

I'm current on rev 7170 SP4.  I have a tape drive but its set offline, I don't use it.

Upon server reboot, now I get  PLVSVR.EXE errors over and over and over again.

Thanks,

MP

mrpush
Level 4

Hi, should i try to run BEUTILITY.exe and fix the DB or something maybe?

Can I backup the DB just in case?

Thx,

MP

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

PVLSVR errors are related to the device and media service.

1) Try recreating B2D folders.

2) Repair BEDB through BEUtility 

3) Try repair install of BE.

mrpush
Level 4

Hi,

Thanks for direction.  What I did was set all my B2D folder as "Disabled", and that stopped the crazy and the PVLSVR errors. 

Righ now, I'm setting them back to Enabled one at a time to at least get my backups done. 

Will see if one sets off the madness again.  Will post update.  If I can't fix by maybe reacreating bad folders, I will try these suggestions and update.  I think you are on to something there with the folders as my actions stopped the nutty symptoms.

Thanks,

MP