cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup is taking much longer than expected

cobrien
Level 2
I have a two part question. First, my company runs a back up of 5 drives onto one of our servers. Up until now it has run exceptionally well. A full back up of all our drives was to start this past Sunday. First the backup didn't actually begin till Monday morning at 1 AM. Then at the current time, Tuesday morning, the backup is still going. It is now verifying the last drive, but it has been going for over 32 hours. Does anyone know 1) why my backup didn't begin when it was scheduled and 2) why it would be taking so long? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
3 REPLIES 3

Keith_Langmead
Level 6
When you say it didn't begin, do you mean that it stayed as scheduled / pending until monday morning, or that it was running but didn't actually start backing up data until monday morning?

There are several things which could be causing this. First check that the NIC's in all related servers are set to run at the same speed (I assume 100Mbit). Ideally, turn off auto detect, and set them all to 100Mb Full Duplex, so you can be sure they are all running at the same speed.

Check that nothing new has been scheduled on the server to run at that time which could slow the server down while the backup is running.

Check / change the network cables you're using, in case one of them has been damage somehow.

Finally (or least the last I can think of right now), if possible consider changing the NIC's in the servers to confirm if there is a fault in one of them. We had the same situation on one of our backup systems for ages, which was quite often intermittent, and would clear after a reboot. After a lot of fiddling we eventually found that the NIC was faulty, so had to get it and the motherboard (as it was integrated) changed, but that did resolve the issue.

cobrien
Level 2
Thanks Keith. Our backup stayed pending until Monday morning. I haven't been able to verify it yet, but my guess is that someone was here Sunday working so it didn't begin until early Monday morning. Then once it had begun and people started showing up Monday morning they began using files that were being backed up and slowed down the backup. I am going to take your suggestions though and look into them. Thanks again for your help.

Nancy_2
Level 2
I'm having the same problem here since installing Remote Agent. My differentials are taking on average about 9.5 hours to complete for about 50 Gigs of data on a total of 3 drives over two machines. Both have identical NICs (identical servers) both set to 1GB

That being said, I've been combing through the Veritas KB to see if I can find anything useful. These are some great leads to try barring the nic settings (and actually that's just one of about 10 suggestions in one of the documents).

Hope these help:

It does touch on the recommendation to have a SCSI tape drive on it's own controller and using a low ID (excepting 0,1). I can tell you that when we had an internal drive on the same controller as our SCSI hard drives we had all sorts of issues running Veritas. If you're not running a drive on it's own controller I'd say it's 99% that's your problem there.