cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup to Disc Question

les_garten
Level 2

I have a Client running Backup Exec 12.  I am running Backup to Disc across a network between servers.

In devices, I created a 2 backup to disc folders, one for each back job I am running on this machine.

After 5-6 months or so, my HD on this server is full, and  last time I just deleted the backup to discs folders and restarted the backups.  

100 gigs or so Later, and I'm back to having to cleanup the device folders again and run huge backups from scratch.

How should I set this up to have a certain size container where it will append till it reaches it's limit and then overwrite the whole deal again, which is basically what I am doing manually.

The Overwrites will have to only occur starting Friday nights, since they take some 30-40 hours to complete.

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified

1) Go to Tools ---> Options ---> Media Management

2) make sure that the Overwrite Protection Level is at least Partial

3) select the "overwrite recycleable media in media set before scratch"

This will ensure that BE will overwrite the recycleable media in the B2D folder.

All your jobs should be set to overwrite because appending to a media will extend the OPP.

les_garten
Level 2

Thanx, I'll Look at those.

2) make sure that the Overwrite Protection Level is at least Partial

This is how it was set

3) select the "overwrite recycleable media in media set before scratch"

I had to set this

What is OPP,I see that mentioned a lot here?

Won't overwrite make a full backup each time?

I am doing incremental backups

and append.

Sounds like I may have this all screwed up!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

OPP = overwrite protection period.  If you are not sure of the acronyms used in this forum, check the Glossary discussion pinned to the top of this forum.

Setting you job to overwrite or append to the media has nothing to do with whether the job is a full or incremental backup.  You might want to familiarise yourself with the Media Management chapter in the Admin Guide.