cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backup up Exchange server Temporarily

JDR1990
Level 4

Hi,

This may seem a very basic question but DO I require the Exchange server agent to be able to back up the C:\Program Files\Exchsrvr folder. I plan to purchase an agent in the near future but was wondering if there is there any way to back this up at least partially for the time being.

Im currently using BE 2010 R2 the quickstart version. the BE media server is installed on our Exchange server.

Regards

Leon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

the only way around this is as follows:

1. Disable BE's AFE as per the TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH92375

2. Stop Exchange completely.

3. Backup the folder.

4. Start up Exchange.

This can be scripted. The alternative is to initiate BE's 60-day trial of the Exchange agent if you know for a fact you will be purchasing the license within 60 days.

Also look at installing the full version of BE...the QuickStart edition is very limited.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

CraigV

Hi,

the only way around this is as follows:

1. Disable BE's AFE as per the TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH92375

2. Stop Exchange completely.

3. Backup the folder.

4. Start up Exchange.

This can be scripted. The alternative is to initiate BE's 60-day trial of the Exchange agent if you know for a fact you will be purchasing the license within 60 days.

Also look at installing the full version of BE...the QuickStart edition is very limited.

Thanks!

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Exchange license is not required to backup that folder but flatfile backup of exchange DB or program files folder will be of no use. You can install and use the agent in trialmode. Once you purchase the agent install the license key.

JDR1990
Level 4

Hi Craig,

Many thanks once again for your advice! Does the full version of BE have to be purchased as an upgrade or will it be a complete re- install? Also I have noticed that I am not able to install the AOFO is this due to the fact that my current installation is the quickstart version? Also will the 60 exchange be able to be installed with the quickstart version?

Regards

Leon

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

BE license will convert Quick Start Edition (QSE) to full version, no need to re-install.

Exchange Agent cannot be activated in QSE as its a cut down version.

Many other feature are not available in QSE but these feature can be enable with license key.

CraigV

Hi Leon,

Actually not too sure on the trial period. But go through the license configuration wizard under Tools and see if you have the option to invoke the Agent for Microsoft Exchange. Then make a plan to buy the agent before the 60 days runs out wink

There should also be no reason not to upgrade to a full version of BE. You would have to purchase the media server license and any agents (Exchange), as well as Remote Agent for Windows Servers for every other non-application server you back up. For example: You have a DC and a file server, so you'd buy another 2 RAWS agents for these servers.

The Exchange agent covers the RAWS agent for the Exchange server, and no need to buy 1 for the media server.

Thanks!

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

"There is no ability to add agents and options other than Library Expansion Option (LEO) unless you upgrade to the full version of Backup Exec. All upgrades can be done with license keys, no additional software installation is required."

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH61008

JDR1990
Level 4

Ok thats great many thanks. I will need to speak to my manager tomorrow about upgrading this as at present the quickstart version is pretty much useless. We have an Exchange server, Iomega nas with shares on (which I believe is Linux based), An App server with sage on, A DC, A webserver and I think thats about it.... So then We will need the full version of BE with an exchange agent, 3 RAW for the DC,  Web and App servers - Then how does it work for the NAS? - I belive I was shown how to back this up before using a share based backup with BE 2012. What are are the licensing requirements for this?

CraigV

You'd need this:

1 x Media Server license

1 x MIcrosoft Agent for Exchange (comes with a RAWS license)

3 x RAWS agents

1 RAWS agent for the NAS if you're backing up information on it (and you're going to get a warning about a license not being installed.