cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 10D

Patti_S
Not applicable

I am running Backup Exec 10D, Revision 5629.  We are moving from Windows XP to Windows 7.  Does anyone know of a fix or download for 10D to be compatible with Windows 7?   Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you are thinking of using Win 7 as a media server, i.e., load BE on it, then you are out of luck.  There is never a version of BE that support Win 7 as a media server and there never will be.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You will have to update to a newer version.
See the SCL of BE 10d for updated software:
http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH42949

Please note that BE 10d is pretty old, you cannot expect Symantec to support in for many more years after release.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

And upgrade to 2010 or above for Win 7 compatibility

pkh
   VIP    Certified

If you are thinking of using Win 7 as a media server, i.e., load BE on it, then you are out of luck.  There is never a version of BE that support Win 7 as a media server and there never will be.

teiva-boy
Level 6

Patti,

Please keep in mind that BackupExec 10d was created somewhere in the late 90's to early 2000's.  Well before Windows Vista or Windows 7 even existed.  

Since then, 10d was been replaced with newer versions that include new features, better performance, as well as supporting new Operating systems.  Your existing installation was replaced with BackupExec 11 in 2003 or so, then there was 12.0, then 12.5, then 2010, and 2010 R3 is the most current release.  Between each version, there were also a number of major services packs too.  So in a nutshell, your 10+yr old product is due to be replaced and its uses, need to be re-evaluated.

That said, new versions of Backup Exec require an actual Server OS to be installed on.  You cannot install it on a workstation OS anymore (e.g. Windows XP, WIndows Vista, Windows 7)  If you do not have a server on site, perhaps you want to look at Symantec's desktop backup products instead?  Or move towards a cloud based/online backup service?