cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 11D + Quantum Superloader 3 = Headaches!!!

Smileyville
Level 4
I have recently (last 2 months) installed a brand new server (HP Hardware, DL380 G5) with a brand new Quantum SuperLoader3.  OS is Windows 2003 R2 SP2 and Backup Exec 11D.  Other functions of this server, secondary Domain Controller and BES Server.

I have been able to run backups to the LTO Tapes (using LTO Ultrium 3) initially, backup data was there, restored and verified.  Inventory's were working properly.

I have defined 2 Media Sets, 1 Daily, 1 Weekly.  The Daily's are set to "Append to Media, Overwrite if no appendable Media is available".  Weekly's are set to "Overwrite Media"

However, Now I am finding that I cannot erase tapes, and am being prompted to put in new media for Daily Backup Jobs. 

(Job: "Daily Backups") Please insert overwritable media into the robotic library using the import command.

Overwritable media includes scratch, blank, and recyclable media. Please note that depending on the current Media Overwrite Protection setting, imported and allocated media may be overwritable as well. Consult the online help for more information on overwritable media.

If I try to erase the tapes to comply with the above error, I get the following error "

(Job: "Erase Library 00005") Erase Library 00005 -- The job failed with the following error: Library error - incompatible storage media detected in robotic library.

Now if I try to Inventory the Tapes, I am now receiving the following error "

(Job: "Inventory Library 00012") Inventory Library 00012 -- The job failed with the following error: Library error - incompatible storage media detected in robotic library.

Any suggestions?????  It doesn't do me any good if I can't reuse the tapes or inventory them.  UGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!

Thanks in advance.

2 REPLIES 2

Smileyville
Level 4
Ok, I'm a moron.  In looking again, the flag for "Enable Bar Code Rules" was flipped on.  I took that off, now the Inventory and Erase is working properly.  Hopefully this will help someone else.   Smiley Very Happy

I do have a separate suggestion/comment.  For this drive, an 'eject' that is selected in a backup job doesn't work, you have to export.  Wouldn't it make sense to add this ability into the next update or release.  It would be really nice to have a non-admin person just pick up the tape and move offsite if it was ejected upon completion or failure.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Might be worth a trip to  http://engweb.symantec.com/enhancement/