cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 201 R2 not working at all

ollyparkhouse
Level 3

We have tried so many combinations to get this working and have so far failed miserably.

Initially we installed BE 201 R2 on Server 2008 R2. Install went fine, but when i went to create new backup job the remote agent service crashed  and BE couldnt see any resources (not even itself).

After much umming and erring and changing of group policy, Symantec told me it is a Microsoft thing and to install BE on Server 2003.

So we did that. Built the server from scratch, and it worked....for a minute. BE could see the servers on the network...however each time we tried to back up the Exchange 2010 server, the remote agent on the exchange server crashed immediately. Symante then said.......oh look at the Software compatability you neeed a server 2008 x64 server to backup exchange 2010.. so back to square 1.

I have now installed Server 2008 x64 standard,and the remote agent on the media server fails each time you go to create a new job. So we are back to where we were 1 week ago with no backups.

The error i get when the agent crashes is:

Faulting application beremote.exe, version 13.0.4164.109, time stamp 0x4cffac43, faulting module MSVCP80.dll, version 8.0.50727.4053, time stamp 0x4a5938bd, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000000000002730a, process id 0x10c8, application start time 0x01cbbc884817542a.

I have tried some of the regional settings changes that i saw in another post, but still no joy, and the Symantec support are a nightmare to get hold of.

Can anyone help??

thanks

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ollyparkhouse
Level 3

Looks like i have finally got to the bottom of it.

this MS article solved it, so it was a really wierd one

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998246(EXCHG.80).aspx

But thanks for all your help on this one guys

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Seems you have tried lot of things & yes the best way to backup exchange in this case would be as follows

Before this there are some prerequisite to backup exchange which I presume you know but just confirming the same again

1 Please ensure you have media server with 64 bit h/w & OS supported would be win2008 standard / enterprise sp2 or win2008 r2 . I would go with installing BE 2010 r2 sp1 on win2008 r2

2 Then on exchange server I will ensure it is with latest updates & rollup so I would be on exchange 2010 sp1

3 Depending on if it single exchange server please install remote agent of BE 2010 r2 sp1 on that & if it is DAG then I will install remote agent on mailbox nodes & CAS nodes

4 I will then install exchange management tool on backup server of same version on exchange server for example if it is on exchange 2010 sp1 then I will install the same management tool on backup server

5 Then finally I will see my backup account which I am doing the backup is added in organization management group & public folder mangement group using active directory users & computers & also in backupexec I will add the same account as system log on account & start the services with same & do backup 

Hoe this helps , Cheers.....!

Should work fine , If this help you please mark the post solved

Thank You

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Olly,

Have you updated BE 2010 R2's available patches?

Also, can you please check and make sure that your antivirus (if you're running one) isn't scanning the BE installation directory, and more specifically the files that run the software services. You can turn on AV afterwards.

Furthermore, can you please check the Alerts tab in BE itself and see if there are any specific errors that you can post here...

Thanks,

Craig

CraigV

1. The poster mentioned he installed Win2K8 x64. X64 OSs don't install on anything other than x64 hardware.

ollyparkhouse
Level 3

Thanks for all your replies.

The server as of yet is running no AV, and i have appled SP1 for 2010 R2 and all available hotfixes for server 2008.

The problem is that i cant see the local server resources, let alone the exchange or any other servers on the network.

As soon as i select new backup job, BE hangs and in the background the Remote Agent Sfor windows systems ervice crashes with the error i posted above.

There are no errors in BE itself apart from the service stopped.

I really am at my wits end.

thanks

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

If that is the case I will try doing for database repair or I will enable sgmon log.exe by going to C-program files--symantec-backupexec folder

& then will check first 3 check box with selection & 3rd pary component & will check the box at end capture to file & will try again opening bacjkupexec s/w so that I can check what is going on 

Also if you do the same kindly update the sgmon.log by going C-program files--symantec-backupexec -logs folder

Thank You

CraigV

...and anything in the Application Log in Windows?

No software like McAfee HIPS running? Is your firewall perhaps running on that server? If so, turn it off for now, and then see if the services stop.

ollyparkhouse
Level 3

No AV whatsoever, and group policy turns off the firewall.

In applcation log i get 2 entries:

A memory dump has been captured C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\BEDBG\beremote.exe_5504_0.dmp

followed by:

Faulting application beremote.exe, version 13.0.4164.109, time stamp 0x4cffac43, faulting module MSVCP80.dll, version 8.0.50727.4053, time stamp 0x4a5938bd, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x000000000002730a, process id 0x1580, application start time 0x01cbbc943bd8e2c8.

cheers

CraigV

Mmm...do you have .Net installed? If so, can you try a repair and see if this sorts out the issue?

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Can you also try this link please & see the workaround section it shows this issue has been fixed but may be give a try for the workaround & see if that helps

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH124862

Thank You

ollyparkhouse
Level 3

i have the .NET framework 3.5 sp1 installed, so i could try that.

One thing that does work and allows me to see resources is renaming the bedsmbox.dll file.

However that means i cant backup my exhcange server, but it is a start.

thanks

CraigV

...just thought of something. Go into BEUtility, and select the option (after right-clicking your media server's name) to change the service account. Put in the service account details (domain_name\service account), and let BE change them. Also make sure that the SQL Server (BKUPEXEC)instance under SQL under Services.msc is set to Local System and nothing else.

ollyparkhouse
Level 3

Looks like i have finally got to the bottom of it.

this MS article solved it, so it was a really wierd one

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa998246(EXCHG.80).aspx

But thanks for all your help on this one guys

ArtRichmond
Not applicable

I have the same problem.

Faulting application name: beremote.exe, version: 13.0.4164.109, time stamp: 0x4cffac43
Faulting module name: MSVCP80.dll, version: 8.0.50727.4927, time stamp: 0x4a27431a
Exception code: 0xc0000005
Fault offset: 0x000000000002730a
Faulting process id: 0x1a30
Faulting application start time: 0x01cbbd841e340e24
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Symantec\Backup Exec\beremote.exe
Faulting module path: C:\Windows\WinSxS\amd64_microsoft.vc80.crt_1fc8b3b9a1e18e3b_8.0.50727.4927_none_88dce9872fb18caf\MSVCP80.dll
Report Id: 801be3a0-2977-11e0-b08f-00155d108701

Started just after LiveUpdate upgraded to SP1.  Have tried complete re-install and even installing the version previous to SP1.

I tried removing objects from the lostandfound as in the technet link above, but that didn't work either.

Also tried the previous work around of ensuring that the Language regions matched as in

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH124862

itsmeaffinity
Level 6

Hi

Can you open a new thread for same as this is closed

Thank You