cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 2010 R3 - Duplication of a B2D job fails

GrNathan
Level 2
Partner

My client had a raft of issues with their BackupExec 2010 / vSphere 4 / AVVI environement until I upgraded them to BE 2010R3 2 weeks ago.

I now have much better throughput and reliability, but still have one niggle....

We backup the main fileserver (which also happens to be a Domain Controller, FWIW) in a standard D2D2T fashion.  The B2D phase completes reliably, but the duplication to tape, running ~8 hours later will fail, reporting

Final error: 0xe0009444 - The requested source duplicate backup sets catalog record could not be found.  Perhaps the media containing the source backup sets was previously deleted.

Final error category: Job Errors

However, I can manually create a new ‘Duplicate Backup Sets’ job to perform the same data to tape – proving that the B2D data is in fact available to be written to tape.  Overwrite protection is for a day on the B2D media pool anyway, so the duplicate job kicking off in < 12 hours after the primary backup was created should discount overwrite issues.

So the error description is misleading, or downright wrong.

I'm adjusting schedules so that the B2D phase of backing up this server does not run across the date roll-over (has been running from ~9pm through 1am, will shuffle jobs so that it runs ~1am - 5am, and see if that fixes it, but also interested to hear if anyone else is having similar issues.

Media Server is BE2010R3 on Windows Server 2008R2/SP1.  Target Server is Server 2003 w. SP2 - DC/File/Print serverbacked up with AVVI. vCentre is 4.1

Thanks,
Nathan

1 REPLY 1

pkh
   VIP    Certified

The error is probably due to the duplicate job failing earlier.  I presume that you are using a duplicate policy. If so, just delete all the jobs created by the policy and re-create them.