Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 2010 R3 VMware Backup

AbuNourEddin
Not applicable
Partner

Greetings;

We have BackupExec 2010 R3 running on a VM on envirunment with ESXi running 35 VM's.

We need to take backup for those 35 VM's and i found that we have different mode of backup.

SAN which is not supported when the Media server on VM.

NBD/NBDSSL mode, and this is very slow backup.

HOT Add: i didn't understand this option, and

1. what are the requirements to use this method?

2. Any configuration need to be done on the VMWARE ESXi.

3. How it's more speed than NBD, and what is the technology that is using.

Thank you.

5 REPLIES 5

ZeRoC00L
Level 6
Partner Accredited

You say that you are using ESXi, but are you using licensed versions of ESXi, because if it is the free version of ESXi, you will not be able to use the AVVI agent !

Hotadd will mean that the disks of the VM you are trying to backup will be mounted on the VM backup Exec server and then the files are being backupped.

See the attached PDF for more info about the AVVI agent.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Since you have virtualised your media server, I hope that you are not trying to back up anything onto tape because this configuration has quite stringent requirements.  See the discussion below, especially Colin Weaver's answer.

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-2010-r3-installed-vmware-vsphere-4-esxi-4...

UFO
Level 6

I was looking half the day for this FAQ, and where did I find it? On Connect for sure! Thank you a lot for attaching the PDF to your comment.

OP
Level 4
Partner Accredited

The suggestion of every symantec technician which I spoke with was - do NOT virtualize your media server - it would be difficult to start the restore in a case of a disaster..

Rgrds

O.

teiva-boy
Level 6

The official stance is that it IS supported, so whether they like it or not, they will support it.

WIth each decision one makes in the infrastructure, there are compromises.  Mount ESX via NFS and you can't use SAN based backups.  Use iSCSI for B2D, and performance will be dismal without MPIO and multiple concurrent jobs.  etc...

Folks choose a configuration due to cost, simplicity, technical or business requirements..  Often, the cons to a certain direction are minimized and considered "rare," or "not important."

That said, virtualizing anything comes with pros and cons, and it varys by application.  Folks just need to understand what the cons are to be better imformed in making their decision.