cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec 2010 + vSphere essentials + AVVI VM sucessfully snapshots but job status stays queued

Chris_Rudin
Level 3
I am running a fully patched BE 2010 running on the same machine as the vSphere server.  I am able to see and target all of the VMs.  When I create a job and send it to a backup to disk folder, a snapshot gets built but the job sits in status Queued until if forcibly restart the BE services.  The job will not cancel.  I have it set up for NBD and when VCB was installed (it isn't now) NBD would work but was just slow.  I have the 2010 windows agent installed on the VM that I am testing against.

I have created a second B2D folder trying to eliminate that as an issue but it also fails.

I am not cutting edge patched in my ESX enviroment, vSphere server is up to date and ESXi is at 219382

Any ideas on what I am missing?
6 REPLIES 6

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Chris,

This is actually an issue we are looking into already.  Please refer to this technote for updates, http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/346834.htm

Chris_Rudin
Level 3
Here is some more feed back:

I had this in the vsphere log:

[2010-03-30 15:44:29.050 08824 warning 'ProxySvc'] SSL Handshake failed for stream TCPStreamWin32(socket=TCP(fd=4680) local=10.40.1.5:443,  peer=10.40.1.81:54429), error=SSL Exception: BIO Error

Backup exec (paraphrased) said (didn't save the log stupidly)

SOAP_ERROR
SymVmTools saying something about error 0x6  (My vSphere server was responding with HTTP 500 Internal Server Error)

Referencing the agent trying to connect to the vsphere server via https to get the VMX file.  Turned out that I had SSL problems. for that machine.

I migrated the virtual machines off, disconnected the offending ESXi server, then removed the bad server from vSphere.  Reconnected the to the existing machine and it mentioned my SSL key was not trusted, and I accepted the change.

That fixed the SOAP_ERROR.  I can download the vmx files in a web browser now.

now it stalls @

BEREMOTE: [03/30/10 17:18:52] [9524]     VM_VCBPROXY_FS::DisconnectFromVCServer: status = 0X0
BEREMOTE: [03/30/10 17:18:53] [9524]     VM_VCBPROXY_FS::ConnectToVCServer: OK, session = 019BBB28
BEREMOTE: [03/30/10 17:18:55] [9524]     SymVmTools: SetVmPowerState: enableChangeTracking: Completed OK
BENGINE:  [03/30/10 17:18:55] [8660]     Updating status for: 'Backup 00012' (0x0 0x0)
BENGINE:  [03/30/10 17:18:55] [8660]     Status for: 'Backup 00012' updated

Thanks, I will stand by for more info.

adzman
Not applicable
I have an issue when i try to back up multiple VM's at once the snapshoting process just hangs. If i run a single job this works fine???

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

Chris,

That is the same thing other customers are seeing.  We currently have our engineers looking at the issue and as soon as we have a workaround or a fix it will be posted to that technote.

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

Is the snapshot process hanging on the ESX host as well or just in Backup Exec?

Kory_M_
Not applicable

FWIW, I'm also having a problem w/ BE 2010 backing up our VMs the BE 2010 agent is running on.  I have several VMs that I'm able to back up which are *not* running the agent.

My environment is vSphere ESX U1 (build 208111).  I'm able to manually snapshot VMs within the vSphere client, however, my VDR appliance cannot quiesce VMs that run the BE agent.  I'm seeing the following problems in my vSphere client log:

"A general system error occurred:  Protocol error from VMX."

I discovered this KB article on VMware's website which points to a possible problem with third-party tools:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=100734...

Prior to upgrading to 2010 several days ago, we didn't have any problems with our VDR appliance.  

I put a call into Symantec tech support (case # 600-576-977) but my ear started bleeding after having been on hold for over an hour and a half.  

Just wanted to share if y'all are still looking for feedback.

Thx much.

Regards,
Kory