cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BackupExec sees all my tapes as DLT, not SDLT

Stewart99
Level 4
BackupExec sees all my tapes as DLT, not SDLT

It sees the devices as SDLT drives, but the tapes only show up as DLT when in fact they are SDLT tapes. They should be 160/320. But in the media section they show as DLT 149gb.

Is this normal?
10 REPLIES 10

Stewart99
Level 4
Can anyone help? I am only able to utilize about half my space because of this. Windows sees the drives as SDLT. Symantec BackupExec sees the drives as SDLT. But the media tab shows DLT when the tapes are actually SDLT.

Stewart99
Level 4

Stewart99
Level 4
Is there no one out there that has seen this before? Can someone please help or tell me where to turn?

thanks

OneGoodSoul
Level 3
Someone correct me if I am wrong, this is working as designed. The 149GB is the uncompressed, native storage capacity of his media. Regarding the 160G vs 149GB isn't the caused by the whole 1024 vs 1000 argument in regards to storage capacity?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
160/320 assumes 2:1 compression, a rate you will seldom if ever see in the real world.  I normally figure about 1.2-1.3:1 until a pariticular server has backed up several times

As to why you are getting ~150 GB, have you actually run a job that filled the tape up?  how much do you get before it asks for a new tape?

Message Edited by Ken Putnam on 08-28-200709:59 AM

Stewart99
Level 4
I understand about the compression ratio. But, it shows the type as DLT, not SDLT. Plus I am only getting up to 150GB on them, no more. It shows compression is 1:1.

This just doesn't seem correct.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Sounds like a driver problem

pardon a silly question, but the tape cartridges are compatiblel with the drive, right?

Are you using the latest DriverPack?

have you tried the Mfg driver rather than Symantec's

Stewart99
Level 4
Tried Microsoft, Quantum, and Symantec drivers. Same results.

Firmware is current.

Tapes are SDLT

Dont' even think DLT can be used in an SDLT drive

GBA131
Level 2

We are using a Quantum Valueloader with the SDLT 320 drive. Media type is DLT. Capacity is usually filled to the max (149gb 0f 149gb).  Data value actually shows it as 396gb, with a 2.66:1 compression ratio.

Are using the same drive?

Stewart99
Level 4
It is an HP MSL5000 library with HP branded drives. But, the manufacturer is Quantum. Windows has always shown them as Quantum drives. Library and Tape Tools show them as Compaq SDLT320. The media in the libarary are SDLT. BackupExec shows the device as SDLT, but the media in the device as DLT.