Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backupexec 2010 and NDMP Options

emmanuele_cisac
Not applicable
Partner Accredited

I have a question,

i have a quantum scalar i 80 library with 2 LTO4 drive, a FAS 2040 filer and a backup exec 2010 R3 server to backup. i have also configure NDMP.

The 2 drive the Netapp filer and the backup server are attach to e brocade FC switch.

the backup job rate is 3,7 GB/m and for me is too slow, i need to backup about 3.1 TB of data.

Is possible to improve the joba rate?

thanks

Emmanuele Ciscato

1 REPLY 1

teiva-boy
Level 6

throughput in your case is 100% dependant on your FAS to spit out the data to tape if configured to write from FAS over FC directly to tape.  If you misonfigured it so that data is writing through BackupExec, then data is going over the network and not FC first, through BE, then out to tape.  Your tapes are zoned correctly so the filer sees them right?

Perhaps break up level 0 backcups so that smaller ones are done during the week and not one large one?

Remember NDMP is the NAS doing an operation to TAG, CPIO, DUMP the contents of the filesystem and stream it out an interface.  It's this streaming output that is limited by file type, disk speeds, CPU, bandwidth, etc..  I've seen some Netapp filers that can't get better than 30MB/s one dense file systems, though I've seen some 3x00 units getwell over 150MB/s