cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backupexec 9.1 restore emails with exchange agent

CAS
Level 2
I am using Backupexec 9.1 with the exchange agent.  I backup the microsoft exchange mailboxes and the information store.  Since I backup the microsoft exchange mailboxes it is my understanding that I can restore individual emails.

We had a user that left about a year ago and I deleted their account.  We are now interested in seeing emails that were under this account.  What I have done was recreate the user.  Now to restore the emails I want to view I click on them via the microsoft exchange mailboxes via backup exec restore.  Do i need to worry about the options in the exchange section?  I dont see where the commit after restore completes or mount database after restore would come into play

Thanks
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
In Backup Exec restore, select the mailbox and start the restore. The only condition for restore to work is that the mailbox shoud be created with same name and also corresponding user must be created. The mailbox also needs to be activated. Apart from this, all other options are not relevant for exchange mailbox restores. The settings that you are talking about, apply only to database restore and not individual mailbox restore. So, ignore those settings and proceed with restore.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
In Backup Exec restore, select the mailbox and start the restore. The only condition for restore to work is that the mailbox shoud be created with same name and also corresponding user must be created. The mailbox also needs to be activated. Apart from this, all other options are not relevant for exchange mailbox restores. The settings that you are talking about, apply only to database restore and not individual mailbox restore. So, ignore those settings and proceed with restore.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

Colin_Weaver
 As far as I know mailbox restores in 9.1 are via MAPI (so use the same mechanism Outlook uses to send a mail) As such I would expect the settings for committing logs to be ignored unless you are restoring a complete store.

Same with the requirement to dismount or mount a database - MAPI would need the Information store to be mounted for the restore.

One problem you might run into though is if you recreated the user, the GUID for the user has changed so some form of redirect may be needed.

CAS
Level 2
GUID's I was concerned about.  I believe these only affect restored files and I believe an admin can take ownership and fix