cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups fail with licensing error

Somebody_Else
Level 3

I have perpetual licences for Backup Exec and the agents, however some of my maintenance contracts have expired.  What I’d like to know is whether the maintenance contract expiry would invalidate licensing for the “Advanced Open File Option” used on Backup Exec?  The AOFO option is described as “separately licensed” by Veritas but I haven’t tracked down any specific details yet.

I spent a while on the phone with a tech but he couldn't fix it.  Eventually I discovered that if I turn off AOFO my jobs run.  With AOFO enabled I get "The trial period for Backup Exec or for an agent or option has expired. Enter a serial number and then select the license to install to continue", error number 0xe00094a1.  It doesn't specifically mention AOFO but as I say, turning off AOFO makes it work.

I will shortly have have new maintenance licensing but in the meantime I'm running without AOFO.

Will the renewed support contracts fix that?

Thanks.

BE 14.2 FP4 on Windows Server 2012 R2.  (The OS list above doesn't include Windows Server 2012 R2 as an option.)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

No, to my knowledge this was removed MANY versions ago, and if your maintenance expired, your licenses would continue to run on the media server. However, you wouldn't have access to support until such time as you renewed your maintenance.

Have you tried to remove the license and re-add it? Or remove the RAWS agent on the affected server and re-add it? That said. AOFO is no longer licensed separately...it's included in the RAWS agent since BE 2010 R1.

Thanks1

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

No, to my knowledge this was removed MANY versions ago, and if your maintenance expired, your licenses would continue to run on the media server. However, you wouldn't have access to support until such time as you renewed your maintenance.

Have you tried to remove the license and re-add it? Or remove the RAWS agent on the affected server and re-add it? That said. AOFO is no longer licensed separately...it's included in the RAWS agent since BE 2010 R1.

Thanks1

Somebody_Else
Level 3

I've already tried reinstalling the licences, I started again with a clean folder in C:\ProgramData.

I'd assumed it was the backup server because none of the servers will back up.

I updated to FP4 after the problem started to see if that would help, that meant I had to reinstall all the agents.  I haven't gone as far as removing them yet, I've finally got a backup going this morning so I'll try it out once this job is complete.

Somebody_Else
Level 3

I am happy to confirm that removing the agent from all the target servers and reinstalling it fixed the issue, I can now run backups with AOFO enabled, except of course on the backup server itself.  I only back up the catalogues from there though so I'm not worried.

Thank you.