cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Backups randomly waiting to start the backup.

Kurt_Montgomery
Level 2
I'm running Backup Exec 10d on a Windows 2000 server. Each night the tape drive backs up about 30GB of data (about 10GB of Exchange Mailboxes, the rest off of the drives).

Normally this takes about 4 hours to do. However some time ago it started randomly taking around 10 hours. There are no patterns that I can detect as to which days it chooses to take a long time with (though it is almost every night now).

Looking at the backup log, it starts at about the normal time (last night's started at 6:00:08PM, just after the scheduled time), however the first item in the log file "Drive and Media Mount Requested: 5/31/2006 11:53:02 PM" shows that it doesn't actually do anything until almost 6 hours later. From this point the backup runs normally and finishes without issue.

So the question is, what is it waiting for? And what can I do to fix it?
5 REPLIES 5

padmaja_rajopad
Level 6
Hi,

Are you using "Advanced Open File Option".

If yes make sure that "Enable single volume snap" option is selected.

Check whether you are getting any active alerts in the "Alerts" tab.

As a test try running the job to a Backup to Disk folder and check whether the B2D job takes the same amount of time.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Kurt_Montgomery
Level 2
Origionally I wasn't using the "Advanced Open File Option," I just enabled it last week to see if it might help this issue.

I don't see an option for "single volume snap" however. Only Advanced Open File options I have are "Process logical volumes one at a time" (checked) and "Use ServerFree Option."

Unfortunatly this is a small server, it doesn't have 30GB of free space to do a backup to disk on. I'll try to check out other options for this.

Deepali_Badave
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

If you are using BE v10.1 the install the latest drivers.

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/282974.htm

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answered and would be moved to answered questions pool.

Kurt_Montgomery
Level 2
I'll give that a try tonight.

tejashree_Bhate
Level 6
Hello,

Let us know the update.

Note:- if we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be assumed answered and archived.

Thanks.