cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Be15 Back up to speed with the library is very slow.

Andy201501
Level 2

Unplanned downtime since the last backup server, backup to tape libraries speed drops to 50MB/min~100MB/min;  

I was tried to uninstall BE reinstall、reinstall the tape library drive does not work;

PS: last time there had been a a similar situation, I will BE uninstalled after the OK. But this does not work once.

PLS help !

Environment:IBMTS3100 Direct Connect server HBA card、WINDWOS2008R2 X64、BE15

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Andy201501
Level 2

Thank you for helping. Fault has been resolved. Solution Reference IBM TS3100 FIXLIST Article VI: "5. Windows/Emulex: No support for direct attachment to tape storage devices with the Emulex-based 8Gb host bus adapters. Link failures when direct connected will cause the host to lose communication with the tape storage device, and a host reboot will be needed to regain communication between the host bus adapter and the device. 6. Windows/Emulex: When HBA topology setting is set to auto-topology in an N-port/F-port environment, the HBA may run out of B2B credits (due to link failures), and then will abend job due to a known issue during the link reset recovery procedure. To avoid this situation, it is recommended that the HBA topology setting is set to N-port/Fport." https://delivery04.dhe.ibm.com/sar/CMA/STA/04viq/0/3573.Fixlist thx!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...run tapeinst.exe to install the Symantec drivers for the tape drive, and in Device Manager within Windows, make sure the robotics shows up as Unknown Medium Changer.

You can also get hold of the IBM tape diagnostic tool, stop the BE services and run a diagnostic check of the unit's write speed. This will show if you have a hardware issue or not.

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Try tuning your tape library. See my article below

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/tuning-my-lto4-tape-drive

Andy201501
Level 2

thanks for your solution...but i'm using a HBA-attached LTO5 tape drive;

pkh
   VIP    Certified

It makes no difference.  The tuning methodology is the same for all tape drives.  You just have to adjust the buffer and block sizes until you get the best performance.

Andy201501
Level 2

Hi,Craigv.

Because compatibility Emulex HBA card write speed degradation caused by. I have followed the practice of IBM official document to change the topology of the HBA library, it has been resolved.

THX!

https://delivery04.dhe.ibm.com/sar/CMA/STA/04viq/0/3573.Fixlist

5.  Windows/Emulex: No support for direct attachment to tape storage devices with the Emulex-based 8Gb host bus adapters. Link failures when direct connected will cause the host to lose communication with the tape storage device, and a host reboot will be needed to regain communication between the host bus adapter and the device.
6.  Windows/Emulex: When HBA topology setting is set to auto-topology in an N-port/F-port environment, the HBA may run out of B2B credits (due to link failures), and then will abend job due to a known issue during the link reset recovery procedure. To avoid this situation, it is recommended that the HBA topology setting is set to N-port/Fport.

Andy201501
Level 2

Thank you for helping. Fault has been resolved. Solution Reference IBM TS3100 FIXLIST Article VI: "5. Windows/Emulex: No support for direct attachment to tape storage devices with the Emulex-based 8Gb host bus adapters. Link failures when direct connected will cause the host to lose communication with the tape storage device, and a host reboot will be needed to regain communication between the host bus adapter and the device. 6. Windows/Emulex: When HBA topology setting is set to auto-topology in an N-port/F-port environment, the HBA may run out of B2B credits (due to link failures), and then will abend job due to a known issue during the link reset recovery procedure. To avoid this situation, it is recommended that the HBA topology setting is set to N-port/Fport." https://delivery04.dhe.ibm.com/sar/CMA/STA/04viq/0/3573.Fixlist thx!