cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bemcmd

simonpaulwillia
Level 3
Dear All,
I have written a program in VB.NET that turns on a USB hard drive and then runs a back up job in Backup Exec using the bemcmd.exe process. Because the USB drive has been disconnected it says the drive is offline even though I have just turned in on. I have to manually click 'Scan' and then click 'Online' under the 'Devices' tab to get the backup started which is obviously no use for my automated system. Is there a way around this issue?
Regards
Simon Williamson 
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

As well as Colin's suggestion of stopping/starting the BackupExec services, you can pause/unpause the device corresponding to the disk you are attaching, or all B2D devices if you have more than one

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
If you restart the Backup Exec services (specifically the Device and Media Service), after the USB device is connected in your VB script you should find the drive is online. BEWS does not poll for offline devices coming on-line as it expects human intervention, however a service start forces BEWS to check all known devices.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

As well as Colin's suggestion of stopping/starting the BackupExec services, you can pause/unpause the device corresponding to the disk you are attaching, or all B2D devices if you have more than one

simonpaulwillia
Level 3
Dear Mr. Weaver,

Thats great thanks.

Regards Simon

simonpaulwillia
Level 3
Dear Mr. Putnam,

That also works so thanks very much.

Regards Simon