cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Media rotation strategy

Pete_Jones
Level 3
I've just got everything running on our company servers and wish to formulate a decent backup plan. I appreciate that everyone's requirements are different but if anyone could spot any problems with my suggestion I'd really appreciate it.

We currently have 3 servers which we wish to backup. We are a design studio so have fairly large files (hi-res artwork etc) although our turnover of files is quite small as we're only a small company. We also have a development web server and a file server that we wish to backup.

It's my intention to run a full backup over the weekends and then run a daily incremental or differential backup. Am I OK to use just one tape for the daily backup? If I choose either incremental or differential, would I be able to access a history of files changes or is it just the last one backed up? Would I need 1 tape per day? This seems a lot of hassle if I have to swap the tapes over every day. Also, our full backup will span several tapes. If I set this to run over the weekend, then I won't be able to swap the tape. Is there anything I can do about this?

Finally, how is it best to set this up? What settings should I have my daily tape(s) on in terms of overwrite/append?

Apologies if this is a little vague but I'm new to tape backups and have just inherited someone else's technical empire!

Thanks

Pete
3 REPLIES 3

Asma_Tamboli
Level 6
Hello,

The following dokuments might come in handy:

The basics of Advanced Device and Media Management for Backup Exec for Windows Servers
http://support.veritas.com/docs/192265

An explanation of the "Overwrite Protection Period" and the "Append Period"
http://support.veritas.com/docs/237374

Hope it helps!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Fulls, over the weekend and either INCR or DIFF during the week shoud be fine.

With INCR, in case of Disaster Revcovery, you would need to restore the last full and each INCR sequentially. With DIFFS, you would need the last full and the last DIFF. Less time at recovery, but more time during the daily backups.

As to whether to stack all your INCR or DIFF jobs on one tape. It may sound tempting, but when (not if) a tape fails, then you can only go back to the last full,

IF you get a second tape drive similar tape drive, and put both in a CASCADED drive pool, your weekly job will start on one and roll over to the other when the first tape fills up.

shweta_rege
Level 6
Hello,

Could you please Update us on the issue..

Thank you,

Shweta