cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPS/CPA SQL and Exchange

TomGreen
Level 2
I'm new to Backupexec and I was wondering if anyone can help me with this CPA/CPS stuff?

I'm interested to know how to setup replication and create PIT (point in time copies)

I have just upgraded to 11d and have CPS installed on the same server (I've got a backup job in CPS already running and VSS snaps on the file system)

For exchange do I need to configure a backup to disk policy? Then configure log replication?

Also I have no idea how to configure the MSSQL stuff?

Any URLs, whitepapers for advise on how to actually configure it would be great.

I have a dual drive library and plenty of disk space to play with

R,
Tom

4 REPLIES 4

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Tom,

For setting up Exchange and CPS see page 1235 of the 11d manual.  It's faily simple though.  You will need to setup a job that backs up to disk and just select the check box for CPS in the exchange sections and configure how often you wish to take recovery points.

Here is a white paper for setting up CPS and SQL.  Just click the link for CPS and SQL. It may require you to register to view it though.
http://www.symantec.com/enterprise/products/whitepapers.jsp?pcid=1018&pvid=57_1

Also setting up that continues job is fairly simple as well, basically you just have to select the sql database files and it does the rest.

TomGreen
Level 2
But how does the CPS with SQL ensure consistenacy?  Do you have to take a snapshot like with filesystems?  or it just continuous protection? I ask as there is nothing about snapshots in the whitepaper.

As for the Exchange stuff, should I just setup a CPS job to run during the week to disk and then a policy for disk-to-tape on the weekend?

Still not 100% sure how these two fit in?

Regards,
T

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Tom,

The CPS/SQL and CPS/Exchange are apples and oranges.

To setup the CPS/Exchange backups you actually do this through Backup Exec not CPS.  These jobs have to be set to run to disk, you can then duplicate the Full Backup to tape if you wish, using policy or regular duplicates.  All of your restores for the CPS/Exchange job will show up in Backup Exec as well.  The only thing that you will see in CPS is the job running, nothing else.

As for your CPS/SQL questions, I have to do some double checking on those to make sure I am on the right track with the answers. :)

TomGreen
Level 2
Got it working, well kinda.

I now have CPS doing replication for SQL and I'm taking snaps of that (which appearntly works).  Exchange is also humming away

My only problem now is integrating the backup.  I have 1 tape drive and I need to get my Exchange data, File data and SQL data on it every night (its an LTO3 and I have about 120gig worth of information).

What would the best approach be? 

I basically want to take the latest snapshot created by CPS for all 3 (file, exchange and SQL).  I've tested a selection list with the latest snapshots from CPS and they work. I tried just adding the Exchange data to the selection list in the job and it bombed out.

Suggestions are welcome??